Starting from the 12th century, Dieppe’s fishermen became the biggest fresh fish suppliers of Paris and Rouen. Three quarters of the supply of Parisian markets came from Dieppe in the eighteenth century, by the mean of the “Chasse-Marée”. Today, it’s an important ferry and fishing port, and a pleasant seaside resort.
The Château de Dieppe is a castle in the French town of Dieppe in the Seine-Maritime département. The castle was founded in 1188 by King Henry II of England, and was destroyed in 1195 by King Philip II of France. The site was restored in the 14th century. The castle was later in large part reconstructed in 1433 by Charles des Marets. The castle is composed […]
Dieppe is a coastal community in the Arrondissement of Dieppe in the Seine-Maritime department in the Normandy region of northern France. The inhabitants of the town of Dieppe are called Dieppois and Dieppoise in French. A port on the English Channel, at the mouth of the Arques river, famous for its scallops, and with a regular ferry service to Newhaven in England, Dieppe also has a popular pebbled beach, a 15th-century castle and the churches of Saint-Jacques and Saint-Remi. The mouth of […]