Afragola is a city in Metropolitan Naples, in the Campania region of Italy. Afragola is one of the most incredible cities in Metropolitan Naples.
Afragola is a city and comune in the Metropolitan City of Naples, in Italy. Italian is by far the most spoken language in Afragola. Also spoken by the majority of the population is Neapolitan, a dialect of Italian which is notoriously known for being unintelligible to many Italian speakers. Neapolitan is composed of Spanish, French and Arabic words and in Afragola is usually spoken by the elders, as the young generation usually speaks either Italian or a mixture of Italian and Neapolitan.
It is one of the 100 largest Italian cities (the ones that have a population of more than 63,000 inhabitants).
The communal territory, measuring 18 square kilometres (7 square miles), borders the municipalities of Acerra, Casalnuovo di Napoli, Caivano, Cardito and Casoria, forming a single metropolitan area of around 100,000 inhabitants. The comune of Afragola is one of the most densely populated of the country.
The area of modern Afragola was already settled in ancient times by the Samnites. Older remains, belonging to an early Bronze Age settlement buried by a Vesuvius eruption in the 19th century BC, were found in 2005.
The town was founded only in the Middle Ages: according to a tradition now recognized as false, in 1140 by Roger II of Sicily, who assigned the land to its veterans. It is more likely that the city stemmed from the merger of several villages and churches already existing here. The territory was originally held by the archbishops of Naples, but from 1576 it was directly subjected, as an autonomous community, to the Kings of Naples.
- Baroque sanctuary-basilica of St. Anthony‘s sanctuary–basilica. It was begun in 1633 and has a nave with two aisles, internally decorated with marbles. The bell tower was constructed from 1590.
- The castle, documented from 1495, was likely built from around 1420. According to the tradition, it was a residence of queen Joanna II of Naples. It currently houses a childhood school.
- Santa Maria d’Ajello : Church founded in 1190. It houses works by Giovan Angelo Criscuolo, Alessandro Viola (1695) and Angelo Mozzillo.
- San Marco in Sylvis Church built around 1179. On its external wall is a slab on which, according to the legend, once sat both St. Mark and San Gennaro.
- San Marco all’Olmo: Church built in 1615.
- Palazzo Migliore (17th century)
- San Giorgio Martire: Parish church built in 1695-1702
Places to visit
Afragola is mainly known for one of the most famous and nationwide known ice-cream shops, “La Scimmietta”. Born in the last century, “La scimmietta” is located in different places in the region: not only in “Via Giovanni Amendola” (Giovanni Amendola Street) and in the shopping centre known as Ipercoop, both in Afragola, but also in the “Centro Campania”, which is the most famous shopping centre in the whole region (These are just a few places in which you can find these notorious ice-cream shops). La scimmietta is known by people from the whole country, because it is also the official sponsor of the San Paolo Stadium in Fuorigrotta, the latter being a famous neapolitan district.
Apart from La Scimmietta, Afragola has a multiplex cinema and a theatre. The multiplex is located in the Ipercoop shopping center, which is very far from the city centre, but easily reachable by car. Thousands of people from the whole region go to see movies there and can have dinner in one of the numerous restaurants in the shopping mall. The theatre is called “Teatro Gelsomino” and it was originally a monoplex cinema, which was turned into a theater in 2010, because of the strong competition with the multiplex, much bigger and less expensive than the theatre.