Aubagne is a commune in the Bouches-du-Rhône department in the Provence-Alpes-Côte d’Azur region of southern France. The inhabitants of the commune are known as Aubagnais or Aubagnaises.
|Mayor (2020–2026)||Gérard Gazay|
|Area1||54.9 km2 (21.2 sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+01:00 (CET)|
|Summer (DST)||UTC+02:00 (CEST)|
Aubagne is located in the Huveaune valley and surrounded by the mountain ranges of Garlaban with Sainte-Baume to the north and 17 km (11 mi) east of Marseille.
It is the main producer of Santon figurines and also hosts many cultural events each year. The French Foreign Legion has its headquarters in Aubagne. Public transport has been free at the point of use since the year 2000.
Access to the commune is by the A50 autoroute from Marseille which continues south to Toulon. The A501 and A52 autoroutes branch off the A50 in the commune and merge to go north to Aix-en-Provence.
There are several smaller towns and villages in the commune apart from the main town: Les Arnauds, Les Grands Mellets, Pinchon, La Martelle, L’Agrie, La Coueste, La Thuiliere, and Font de Mai.
The Huveaune river flows through the commune from the east flowing west into the Mediterranean Sea at Prado beach.
There are there are 30 schools in Auagne including:
- Primary schools: Jean-Mermoz, Passons, Chaulan, Antide-Boyer, Charrel, Tourtelle, Camp-Major, Pin-Vert, Victor-Hugo, and Paul-Eluard Perrussonne;
- Colleges: Joseph-Lakanal, Lou Garlaban;
- High schools: Joliot-Curie, Eiffel, and Sainte-Marie
The SATIS department (Cinema/Audiovisual), attached to the University of Provence, is also located in Aubagne.
Aubagne was the first commune in France to be completely surrounded by autoroutes: the A50 autoroute Marseille-Toulon, the A52 autoroute to Aubagne-Aix-en-Provence, and the connecting motorway A501.
Regional TER trains operated call at the Gare d’Aubagne railway station, linking the city with Marseille and Toulon. Local public transport in the city, operated under the Lignes de l’agglo brand, is provided by a network of buses and tram line with seven stops between the railway station and Le Charrel.
Industry, Trade and Crafts
- Zones of Activity (ZAC): Paluds, La Martelle (shops: Auchan and others), Napallon Business Park;
- Thales Underwater Systems currently has one of two establishments in France at Aubagne. The other is at Brest;
- Agriculture: there are farms at various locations in Aubagne (Huveaune Valley, Beaudinard, Napollon);
- Ceramic Crafts:: terracotta, Santon figurines; the appearance of domestic nurseries has allowed the development of Santon makers who now continue this art in a dozen workshops;
- Janot Distillery: produces its Gambetta syrup and its Janot Pastis in Aubagne;
- Sartorius Stedim Biotech: produces biopharmaceutical equipment;
- Viticulture: Aubagne is a wine commune located in the geographical areas of IGP Bouches-du-Rhone and the Mediterranean IGP;
- Branch office of the Chambre de commerce et d’industrie Marseille-Provence (Chamber of Commerce and Industry Marseille-Provence).
Culture and Heritage
- The War Memorial (1922) is registered as a historical monument.
- The French Foreign Legion Museum
- The Thérèse Neveu Studio
- The birthplace of Marcel Pagnol
- The Chapel of Black Penitents contains one item that is registered as a historical object:
- A Painting: Beheading of Saint John the Baptist (1695)
- The Chapel of Grey Penitents
- The Chapel of White Penitents contains several items that are registered as historical objects:
- A Painting: The death of Saint Joseph (19th century)
- A Painting: Sainte Parenté (17th century)
- The Church of Saint-Sauveur contains several items that are registered as historical objects:
- Instrumental part of the Organ (1784)
- Rostrum Organ (1784)
- The Chapel of the Observance contains a Statue of the Virgin and Child (17th century) which is registered as a historical object.
- The Church of Saint-Pierre-les-Aubagne contains many items that are registered as historical objects.
Cultural events and festivities
Each year Aubagne has a series of regular and one-off events:
- January. Old postcards, stamps and old papers Exchange
- March. International Film Festival of Aubagne (ranked among the 20 most important film festivals in France out of 350)
- April. Dance in April and Camerone (Commemoration of the Battle of Camarón in the Foreign Legion)
- May. Festival of Neighbours
- June. Music festival, Schools Gala, The Santon makers Trophy
- July. Festimôme and The International Festival of singular art
- August. Argilla, Festival of ceramics and a pottery market and The great cavalcade.
- September. The festival of peace
- October. The Great Rendezvous of Aubagne
- November. Children’s Book Days
- December. The Biennial of santon makers art
- Lattre-de-Tassigny Stadium (home ground of Aubagne FC)
- Bras d’Or Stadium
- Complex Mouren
- Tennis Complex at Saint-Pierre-les-Aubagne
- 6 Gymnasium facilities
- 1 indoor swimming pool (Alain-Bernard at Charrel) and 1 outdoor swimming pool (Le Bras d’Or), etc.