Balatonalmádi

Balatonalmádi is a popular resort town in Veszprém county, in Hungary, with a population of 8,500, situated on the northern shore of Lake Balaton.

Location

It is located in the northeastern corner of Lake Balaton , open to the water, surrounded by hills on the west and north sides, which protect the settlement from the prevailing winds by creating a kind of wind shadow. The surrounding hills and mountains contain a significant amount of red sandstone , which was often used in the construction of local houses. Red stone is also preserved by geographical names, mining of the building stone has now been completed, and greater exploration of the mineral has been delayed due to its bauxite content.

Sights

  • Fortified Reformed Church, Balatonalmádi-Vörösberény

Vörösberény – 12 – 13th century , Romanesque -based Reformed fortress church based on the Gothic style. It is believed to have been erected before the Tartar invasion, then enlarged in the 13th century and a Gothic tower added in the 15th century . It has been used by Catholic and Reformed believers over the centuries. The tower, which can still be seen today, was built in the 18th century , and the fortification of medieval origin was also transformed into a porthole fortress wall at that time. [11] The church is surrounded by a stone wall and still has a medieval origin, but upon entering it receives a baroque vaulted, undivided hall space.

  • Reformed Church, Balatonalmádi
  • Church of St. Ignatius ( Roman Catholic ), Balatonalmádi-Vörösberény

A defining example of Baroque architecture was the Roman Catholic Church in Vörösberény, built in honor of St. Ignatius of Loyola and consecrated in 1779 , with the monastery complex, which is one of the most beautiful architectural monuments in the area. The frescoes, altars and pulpit of the church are outstanding works of art. The former monastery existed as early as 1758 as the “Berényi castle” of the Jesuits of Győr . Today it operates as the Monastery Hotel.The interior of the St. Imre Church in Balatonalmádi

  • Church of St. Imre (Roman Catholic), Balatonalmádi

The parish church of St. Imre in the center of Almádi was built in 1930 according to the plans of István Medgyasszay. The special value of the church is that it follows the traditions of Transylvanian architecture, but the redstone architecture is decisive in its mass. Next to the church is the St. Right Chapel, relocated from the Buda Castle in 1956 , with a gold mosaic depicting St. Stephen by Miksa Róth and a fragment of St. Stephen’s right. Since 2008, the relic of Prince St. Imre and his mother, Blessed (Bavarian) Gizella, has also been placed in the Chapel of St. Right. Thus, in a way unique in the country, the relics of the Hungarian “holy family” were united in the Holy Right Chapel.

Opened in 2013, it is a tourist and cultural facility in the area of ​​St. Elizabeth’s Park, located between the railway station and the shores of Lake Balaton, where more than 50 sculptures and space sculptures can be seen, partly works by foreign artists.

A 19-20. The Civic Reading Circle began its operation at the turn of the 19th century. As a district library, in addition to serving local residents, it was also the center of libraries in 52 municipalities. Following the 1985 earthquake, it was temporarily placed in 1987 on the 1st floor. In kindergarten, then from 1993 in the building of the former pharmacy on Bajcsy-Zsilinszky street until 2003. In 2003, the institution moved to its current location, where it is waiting for those who come to the library, both in its services and technically renewed. Pannonia aims to line up the widest range of public education and culture, to meet the needs of all ages and by organizing events according to their interests,

Contact

Balatonalmádi
email
pmhivatal@balatonalmadi.hu
address
8220 Balatonalmádi, Széchenyi sétány 1.
phone