In 1998 Banski Dvor officially became a public cultural institution and nowadays is the most important cultural center of the city of Banja Luka and Republika Srpska with of thousand of visitors per year. Every year it holds hundreds of events, notable for their high number and variety: concerts, exhibitions of local and foreign artists, book presentations, roundtables and it cooperates with the realizations of important happenings and festivals of the city. Until the reconstruction of the Palace of Republika Srpska, in 2008, it served as the seat of the President of Republika Srpska of Bosnia.
When the Vrbas Banate was formed in 1929, the first Ban was Svetislav Tisa Milosavljević and he felt the need to build a representative seat. In early 1931, the competition was announced in Belgrade and Sarajevo‘s National newspapers, for the conceptual sketch of Ban’s Court (Banski Dvor) and Ban’s Palace (Banski Palat), and the first award was received by the architects from Belgrade Jovanka Bončić-Katerinić, Anđelija Pavlovic and John G. Rankovic. The major work was awarded to the construction company Kosta Šijački from Belgrade, under the direction of the young architect Branko Jovanović, while the artistic design of the facade and the interiors was led by the sculptor and academician Đorđe Jovanović. The works on Banski Dvor began in March 1931, while the official opening of the building was on 8 November 1932. Bans court had rooms for meetings, conference rooms, a hall, flat ban with the apartment for important visitors, the room heating, kitchen, toilets, dressing rooms and other spaces.