Bátaszék

Bátaszék is a town in Tolna County, Hungary. The majority residents are Hungarians, with a minority of Serbs.

Sights

II. Due to the poor condition of the church on the site of Géza’s monastery church, the construction of a new church was ordered in 1842. According to the plans of Antal Hofhauser , construction began in 1899, and the consecration took place in 1903. Its tower was the eighth tallest such structure in the country, but in 2012 it turned out that the 36-meter-high helmet of the tower had tipped over so the 18-ton structure had to be demolished; in order to raise the costs of the restoration, the diocese of Pécs also undertook to organize charity concerts, and the local parish started a fundraiser. 

It was built in the late 18th century , the first mention of which dates back to 1776 . Chapel erected on the road to Báta, at the stone bridge. This Roman Catholic chapel retains traces of the late Baroque style. It is characterized by its lysine decorations, and its sculpture is a valuable work of Baroque sculpture. Its condition has deteriorated a lot over the years, it was renovated in 1991 with its wall and statue.

The first monastery of the Cistercians, the oldest monument of Cistercian architecture in Hungary, was built in II. Géza installed it on the Cikádor. In the same year he founded II. Géza is also the abbey, which was dedicated to the Virgin Mary according to the orders of the order. In 1421 , the Benedictines of Szentgergely occupied the abbey under the leadership of Abbot Imre Újlaki. Its building was located north of today’s Bátaszék parish church. The church was a three- aisled , half-timbered, straight sanctuary building. Later, the sanctuary was rebuilt and expanded with a polygonal closure. The remains of the church can be seen as a ruin garden next to today’s parish church. 

  • Fluffy oak is estimated to be around 3-400 years old . The tree won the Tree of the Year competition in 2015. 
  • Trianon Monument: Inaugurated in 2016. 
  • Today, on the outskirts of Bátaszék, are the remains of the former settlement of Dömörkapu , including the cemetery, where a stone cross and some tombstones can be seen in a wooded area, which were painted in color during the last renovation. The location is most easily approached from the direction of Véménd on the yellow triangle tourist sign. 

Contact

email
address
phone