Beaune is the wine capital of Burgundy in the Côte d’Or department in eastern France. It is located between Lyon and Dijon. Beaune is one of the key wine centers in France, and the center of Burgundy wine production and business. The annual wine auction of the Hospices de Beaune is the primary wine auction in France. (The hospice structure, in the town center, being one of the best preserved renaissance buildings in Europe.)
The town is surrounded by some of the world’s most famous wine villages, while the facilities and cellars of many producers, large and small, are situated in the historic center of Beaune itself, as they have been since Roman times. With a rich historical and architectural heritage, Beaune is considered the “Capital of Burgundy wines“. It is an ancient and historic town on a plain by the hills of the Côte d’Or, with features remaining from the pre-Roman and Roman eras, through the medieval and renaissance periods.
Local Culture Sights
Places and monuments
Beaune is classified as a “ town of Art and History ”. No less than 34 monuments are listed or registered in the supplementary inventory of historical monuments .[display]Listed monuments of the city [display]Listed monuments of the city
- Burgundy wine museum
- Museum of Fine Arts
- Marey Museum
- Dalí Museum
- Maison des Templiers (at the end of rue Jacques de Molay, roundabout-store side)
- Wash house on the Bouzaise
- The Halls of Beaune face the Hôtel-Dieu, they house the weekly market on Saturdays, and also the sale of the Hospices de Beaune .
Churches of Beaune
Saint-Baudèle is located in the heart of the castrum, near the Belenin spring, 7 rue de l’Enfer, which gave the town its name. The first church was probably built in the late v th century on the ruins of a temple of Apollo. It contained the relics of Saint Baudèle (or Saint Boil) who was a contemporary of Saint Martin .
Saint-Flocel is located outside the castrum, against the wall, 20 rue du Paradis. The church was dedicated onApril 26, 965where she received the relics of Saint Flocel and Saint Herné in the presence of Duke Otto .
Notre-Dame, impasse Notre-Dame. The texts suggest that a first Notre Dame has been established in the castrum from 976, the western portal of the Byzantine style of the present church, which itself dates from the xii th century could be a witnes.
Saint-Nicolas. The Church of St. Nicolas dates from the xiii th century , rue du Faubourg Saint Nicolas.
The church was dismantled in 1798 . It dated back to 1245 but it was destroyed for the first time in 1585 to facilitate the defense of the city and rebuilt in 1599 . The parish served the Madeleine, Saint-Jean and Perpreuil suburbs as well as the hamlet of Challanges. The hamlet of Gigny depended on this parish one year out of three. It was again demolished after the Revolution, in 1798. The open space is currently used for parking motor vehicles.
Other religious buildings
- Notre-Dame chapel, rue faubourg Saint-Nicolas,
- Chapel of the Sanctuary of the Child Jesus, former Carmelite, rue de Chorey,
- Chapel of the Dominicans, rue de l’Eglise Saint-Nicolas,
- Reformed Protestant temple, rue Joigneaux,
- Evangelical church, rue de Chorey,
- Evangelical Protestant, ruelle Morlot,
- Kingdom Hall of Jehovah’s Witnesses, rue de Chevignerot,
- Mosque, rue des Ares Cautains.
Beaune is the capital of Burgundy wines . In 2012, it applied to be Cité de la gastronomie but was not selected. Since 1840, the Fallot mustard factory has been produced in Beaune and produces around thirty mustards, some of which are flavored. The Cité des vins et des Climats de Bourgogne is a museum on vines and wine whose project takes place in part in Beaune.
- The detective film festival takes place in April, over several days. It was run by the city of Cognac from 1982 to 2007. Since 2009, it has been taken over by the city of Beaune. It involves many traders in the event, putting the city to work.
- 24 Hours of Beaune . It’s a twenty-four hour original bicycle race. This event is organized over a weekend in May, in the Peupliers district. Originally from Saturday to Sunday, the start and finish were made at 16 hours since 2010 it now runs from Friday to Saturday, the start and finish are to 20 hours
- The Beaune International Baroque Opera Festival has taken place every year during the summer, since 1983.
- Ciné-Rétro Festival . This silent film festival takes place during the summer. Various silent films, such as short films by Charlie Chaplin or Laurel and Hardy , are screened at the Saint-Étienne chapel every evening, and are accompanied by a pianist on stage. The festival was launched in 1994.