Bois du Cazier

Belgium

The Bois du Cazier was a coal mine in what was then the town of Marcinelle, near Charleroi, in Belgium which today is preserved as an industrial heritage site. It is best known as the location of a major mining disaster that took place on August 8, 1956 in which 262 men, including a large number of Italian labourers, were killed. Aside from memorials to the disaster, the site features a small woodland park, preserved headframes and buildings, as well as an Industrial Museum and Glass Museum. The museum features on the European Route of Industrial Heritage and is one of the four Walloon mining sites listed by UNESCO as a World Heritage Site in 2012.

Since March 2002, the Bois du Cazier has been open to the public as a museum complex. Most of the original site of the mine is preserved except the derelict Foraky headframe, dating to the 1960s, which was demolished in 2004. The mine buildings house a small Industrial Museum (Musée d’Industrie), displaying artefacts relating to Belgium’s industrial history. The Glass Museum of Charleroi (Musée du Verre de Charleroi) also reopened in the same site in 2007, displaying its collection of historic glassware. There are several spaces with memorials to the 1956 disaster. The slag heaps around the mine have been landscaped and can also be visited by the public.

The museum is one of the four sites inscribed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site under the Major Mining Sites of Wallonia listing. It also features on the European Route of Industrial Heritage. In 2006, the Bois du Cazier received 46,000 visitors.

Contact

Bois du Cazier
email
info@leboisducazier.be
address
Rue du Cazier 80, 6001 Charleroi, Belgium
phone
+32 71 88 08 56