Buda Castle is the historical castle and palace complex of the Hungarian kings in Budapest. It was first completed in 1265, but the massive Baroque palace today occupying most of the site was built between 1749 and 1769. The complex in the past was referred to as either the Royal Palace (Hungarian: Királyi-palota) or the Royal Castle (Hungarian: Királyi Vár, German: Königliche Burg). The castle now houses the Hungarian National Gallery and The Budapest History Museum.
Places of interest:
- Equestrian statue of Prince Jenő of Savoy:
The city of Zenta ordered József Róna to make the statue, but they could not pay. The statue thus remained in Buda, where the prince also fought. In 1900, a nearly 5-meter-high bronze work was erected, consisting of a main figure holding his horse with his left hand, who is closely following the battle of Zenta. He holds a wand at his right. The young and old Turkish prisoners were carved by Ivan Markovic as bystanders. The limestone pedestal is decorated with bronze reliefs, depicting the receipt of the Zenta ramparts and the famous equestrian attack.
The terrace below the statue offers a great view of the Pest side. This is where the steep road leading through the old castle walls arrives.
- Matthias Well:
The Hunyadi courtyard of the Castle Palace is decorated with the work of the sculptor Alajos Stróbl, the well of Mátyás Hunyadi, which was erected in 1904. The central figure is the hunter Matthias, who arrives at the source. The other figures in the well are also interesting: on the right, on a separate pedestal, Szép Ilonka sits next to a deer, while on the left you can see Galeotto Marto with a falcon. In the middle in front of the group, the king’s minion is just giving a horn signal while the hunter is busy with the dogs.
- Statue of a horse curbing a horse:
To emphasize the Hungarian character, he ordered Jr. From György Vastag, the Construction Committee of the Royal Palace led the statue of the foal leading the stallion. The sculptor carried out preliminary studies on the nearly 4-meter-high, beaten copper plate sculpture in the Hunyadi courtyard in Hortobágy and Bábolna. While he observed the behavior of the foals in Hortobágy in order to make the depiction of clothing and movement perfect, he studied horses in Bábolna. The completed sculpture was also presented at the World’s Fair in Paris.