- Calvary, built in 1865 , stands above the ruins of the former Árpádian church.
- Orthodox Church (Baroque, 1752 , iconostasis from the end of the 18th century )
- Old Serbian cross in the Main Square – originally stood in Tabán as a plague cross.
- Monument to the heroic dead, once modeled on an existing Budakalász resident.
- Church of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross – Originally built in 1824 and built in the 19th century. next to the church damaged in the floods at the end of the 20th century. built in the early years. It was consecrated in 1907 by Ottokár Prohászka , the then bishop of Székesfehérvár. Its first parishioner and builder was John Robl. The old church was demolished in 1909, and the fence of the church garden was built of stones. The organ of the church, which has been operating ever since, was completed in 1908. The farewell will be held on September 14th. His current parish priest is László Kelemen.
- Trianon Monument – Reconstruction of the Guardian of the Carpathians statue, completed in 1915 following the work of Ferenc Szeszák in Cluj-Napoca, and destroyed in 1918 by Romanian chauvinists.
- In November 2011, archaeological excavations began on Calvary Hill. Excavations were already underway here in 1977, and it was likely that the ruins of an Árpádian church were underground. During the ongoing excavations, a church nearly 20 meters long and 12 meters wide was partially excavated.
Budakalász Chemotaxonomic Botanical Garden TT
The demonstration garden of the Herbal Research Institute , established in 1984, is located in the protected area of the Danube-Ipoly National Park . It covers an area of 5 hectares , including the plant collection: 1.03 hectares.
- A significant cultural attraction of Budakalász and one of the prides of the city is the Flax Flower Dance Ensemble founded in 1972. Its establishment was supported by the city’s largest industrial plant, the Flax and Weaving Company. The ensemble consists mostly of local children aged 5-18, but is also popular in the surrounding settlements. Repertoire is mainly the Carpathian Basin folk dances and folk songsbut they also nurture the song and dance treasures and traditions of the German and Serbian nationalities living in the region. The ensemble performs 40-50 times a year in Hungary, participates in festivals and folk dance meetings, and regularly visits the mainly Hungarian-inhabited areas of the surrounding countries and other European countries. Their traditional Christmas program in the Budakalász Village House is one of the important cultural events in the city, regularly attracting hundreds of visitors.
The natural environment of Budakalász
Budakalász limestone quarries
On the border of Budakalász towards Békásmegyer, on the southern edge of the plateau now called Berdó Hill, is the spring limestone quarry , the rock material of which has been of decisive importance in the architectural culture of its narrower and wider environment for 2000 years. It is one of the geologically young formations, ranging in age from only 800 to 900,000 years. In the Pleistocene , freshwater limestone, i.e. travertino , was formed in a relatively long and narrow freshwater lake during the Würm glacial period . Sources opening into the lake bottom brought a lot of dissolved calcium carbonate to the surface. Water from lukewarm springs bursting at relatively high pressures lost CO 2 when released into a low-pressure environmentThe balance of calcium bicarbonate was thus disrupted, a water molecule was released and calcium carbonate was released: Ca (HCO 3 ) – CO 2 + H 2 O + CaCO 3 . A CaCO 3it precipitated on the stems and leaves of the plant and killed the plant in a short time, the soft parts of which decomposed and the cavities remaining in place caused the characteristic of the spring water limestones, the perforated structure. The Budakalász limestone also provides information about the change of seasons, as significantly less loess was added to the lake in summer, so the color of the rock is light ivory. In winter, the material applied is much more, which turns the resulting limestone light brown. The rock thus becomes two-colored and takes up the layers in a modulating or traversing form.
These limestone types are also “witness hills” as they also indicate the level of the erosion base 900,000 years ago, which has since decreased by approximately 100 meters. The time of the opening of the Budakalász mine can be estimated at 92–93, when the former Aquakwinkwe settlement was moved from Szerémség to the 12th century. legion, which then built Aquincum , only as long as the Aquakwinkweit meant good water, in the Latin translation it succeeded for five waters and this name was inherited by the Hungarians. The legion’s engineers soon found a highly formable, sculptable spring limestone and used it extensively in Aquincum’s structures. Practically all the columns, column heads, but also many tombstones and stone sarcophagi were carved from this limestone structure. Surely the limestone mined here was used during the Middle Ages, but during the one and a half hundred years of Turkish occupation, quarrying was abandoned here, so much so that in the 1760s they no longer knew what the visible pits were, they were called “Alte Keller”. . From 1879, Miklós Fabro, of Italian descent, resumed stone production in the old, abandoned mine. The Trianon stone sarcophagus of the Heroes’ Square in Budapest was unearthed here, which was covered with stone slabs.after World War II they were renamed the “Tomb of the Unknown Soldier”. The war also swept away the owner and the quarrying here.
The other limestone mine, which is still in operation today, is located about 5 km northwest of Mantovacz Hill. At this place Jakab Tura opened a quarry in 1894 with a landlord’s license. Here, regular blocks of stone, thin tiles, quadrangles, garden tiles are excavated and sold here.
There are those who, unaware of the other former mine, which is no longer in operation, erroneously associate the false origin “open in Roman times” with this working one.