Cavaillon

France

The hill of Saint-Jacques, a small piece detached from the Luberon, is a natural stronghold today considered as the garden of Cavaillon.

Cavaillon is a French commune in the south-east of France, located in the department of Vaucluse in the Provence-Alpes-Côte d’Azur region . The town is located in the Durance valley , at the western end of the Luberon mountain . Former episcopal see , Cavaillon was part of the Comtat Venaissin from 1274 to 1791. Today it is the most populous municipality in the Luberon Regional Natural Park and the fourth most populous municipality in the Vaucluse department .

In France , it is particularly considered as the capital of the melon .

Sights

Places and monuments

  • Rich in archaeological remains, the city comes the entrance of ancient Roman baths which you can admire the intersecting arcs (the i st  century, moved to the XIX th and reassembled on the Place du Clos). These arches are today known and classified under the name of ancient arc of Cavaillon.
  • Among the notable buildings, we must mention the old Notre-Dame-et-Saint-Veran , place Voltaire, the xi th  century, and its organs all 2 stands organ, 2 buffets organ and instrumental part of the organ. The building seems very sober on the outside due to the successive changes but very rich on the inside. Very rich listed Baroque furniture adorns the walls of the building: paintings by Nicolas Mignard and Pierre Mignard , altarpieces covered with gold leaf by Barthélémy Grangier , sculptures by Jean-Ange Maucord, frescoes reproducing medieval decorations.
  • The chapel of Hermitage ( Saint-Jacques Chapel Road Hermitage, the xii th  century), built on top of a hill of the same name was a step in the road to Saint Jacques de Compostela. The place was also a refuge for hermits, the best known of which is Blessed Caesar de Bus , founder in the city-state of Avignon of the congregation of priests of Christian doctrine . Other chapels are visible, such as the Saint-Benoît de Cavaillon chapel, also called the Grand Couvent chapel, which was from the Revolution until 1997 the municipal library and currently an exhibition space.
  • The building housing the archaeological museum dates from 1755 . It is in fact the chapel of the Hospital and its entrance body which suffered a cannonade during the invasion of Cavaillon by the French revolutionaries in January 1791 . Evidenced by a burst of cannon on its facade. Threatened with destruction at the beginning of xx th  century, the chapel was bought by the Jouve family, a very wealthy family Cavaillonnaise and committed to heritage and conservation of monuments. The building has been transformed into an archaeological museum.
  • The synagogue of Cavaillon , Hebraic street and its Mikvah, was built in the XV th and rebuilt xviii th  century. This is the second synagogue, the oldest in France after the synagogue of Carpentras , which dates from the xiv th  century. The synagogue of Cavaillon cannot be dissociated from his career , that is to say a street in which a mass of Jews who could not live elsewhere because of the Comtadine authorities who tolerated the Jews in the Comtat Venaissin, but who did not want a mixture with the population. 
  • Outside the city, the Canaù aqueduct bridge bears witness to the many developments carried out over the centuries to promote the irrigation of arable land and allow the development of agriculture}. This aqueduct bridge is part of a larger work, the Saint-Julien Canal , dug in the xii th  century.

The Cavaillon Hospital 

The Cavaillon Hospital is a large health complex located at the foot of the Saint-Jacques hill. Vast and modern, the Cavaillon hospital is typical of republican architecture from the beginning of the 20th century: aesthetic and functional, it features on the pediment of its central pavilion the words “French Republic” in large print on the left and the republican motto. to the right. The center being occupied by a clock. The hospital has an eclectic architecture. Several styles are mixed like the neoclassical, but also the Moorish style but also in some places a neo-Gothic touch. The materials are also particular.This building of great majesty has been classified in the heritage inventory. Examples of this type of architecture can be found elsewhere in Vaucluse, such as the Saint-Ruf public school in Avignon or the Henri Bosco Apt  primary school .

The Star Monument 

The Star, as the Cavaillonnais designate it, is a contemporary bronze sculpture on a base representing a Pythagorean star polyhedron with a height of 3 meters and whose weight varies between 1.5 and 1.8 tonnes . It was originally a roundabout type roundabout which was set up by the socialist municipality of the time under the leadership of Mayor Fleury Mitifiot. It then replaced a monument dedicated to Léon Gambetta erected in 1907 and some bronze elements of which were cast in 1943 by the Germans to make shells. The polyhedron was on a circular reinforced concrete plinth which was itself in the center of a also circular basin from which jets of water spouted straight and inclined. Around this large fountain , a circular space served as a planter. Around this circular planter, a circular calade represented waves with two colored shapes: gray pebbles (to represent the waves) and white pebbles to represent the background. In Philippe Guidoni’s project, the polyhedron had to be designed in tempered glass, but due to the cost and the difficulty of creation, it was made by Eugène Roure, a foundry from Marseille who made it in bronze and installed it on site in 1959 .

The monument symbolized purity, harmony, balance, the absolute of just ba . It was both a meeting place for the Cavaillonnais and a symbol of the city: it is also represented on postcards as much as the famous melon . The monument even marked the square with the name of its sculpture, which has commonly become the “Place de l’Etoile”.

Religious sites

Markets 

The Cavaillon market takes place on Monday mornings all year round in a large part of the city center: Place du Clos, Place Maurice Bouchet, Place Philippe de Cabassole, Place Fernand Lombard, Cours Bournissac. From March to October, a farmers’ market takes place on Thursday evening on the Place du Clos.

Tourism 

Like all the municipalities of the Luberon, tourism plays a role, directly or indirectly, in the local economy.

We can consider two main types of tourism in the Luberon. First of all, historical and cultural tourism which is based on a rich heritage, hilltop villages, festivals, and more unexpectedly on the international influence of the history of the Vaudois of the Luberon . Then, green tourism which takes advantage of the many hiking trails and the protected environment offered by the Luberon and its surroundings .

There is a via ferrata site in Cavaillon, on the Saint-Jacques hill.The city of Cavaillon obtained 2 flowers in the competition of cities and villages in bloom .

Contact

Cavaillon Town Hall
email
accueil@ville-cavaillon.fr
address
Place Joseph Guis - BP 80037 - 84301 Cavaillon Cédex.
phone
04 90 71 24 18