Châtellerault is a commune in the Vienne department in the Nouvelle-Aquitaine region in France. It is located in the northeast of the former province Poitou, and the residents are called Châtelleraudais.
|Canton||Châtellerault-1, 2 and 3|
|Mayor (2020–2026)||Jean-Pierre Abelin|
|Area1||51.96 km2 (20.06 sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+01:00 (CET)|
|Summer (DST)||UTC+02:00 (CEST)|
Châtellerault lies on the river Vienne, a few km downstream from its confluence with the Clain in Cenon-sur-Vienne. The city of Châtellerault is located north of the Vienne, on the Bordeaux – Paris road and rail axis , halfway between these two cities. It is also close to the Futuroscope park .
From medieval times, Châtellerault was known for its cutlery and swordmaking industry, and in 1816 the commune became a center for arms manufacture for the French government. The Manufacture d’armes de Châtellerault was one of France’s four principal state-owned arms manufacturers, providing most of the infantry small arms used by the French Army and Navy. It also was the source of the first 500,000 production Model 1891 Mosin–Nagant rifles, as the Russian armament industry could not tool up quickly enough to produce them for the rearmament of the Imperial Russian Army.
The facility has now been transformed into the central repository (Centre des Archives de l’Armement et du Personnel) of all the French military archives related to armament matters. Archived and declassified MAC records are open to bona fide scholars and researchers upon written request.
- The main shops – including the brasserie “La Coupole” – are located around rue Bourbon, the city’s main shopping street, and boulevard Blossac (promenade, square and esplanade François-Mitterrand , opposite the town hall) .
- The suburb of Châteauneuf, popular and working-class district of the city, located on the left bank of the Vienne .
- Branch of the Vienna Chamber of Commerce and Industry .
The town has a train station which is located on the Paris-Montparnasse line at Bordeaux-Saint-Jean . The municipalities of Châtelleraudais offer one or more marked routes (around 350 km ) which are made available to discover the city and the countryside.
The Agglomeration Community of Grand Châtellerault has been offeringapril 2018the Vélibleu service , installed by Green On: 50 electric bicycles spread over 8 stations, 3 in Châtellerault, then in Naintré , Thuré , Cenon-sur-Vienne , La Roche-Posay and Lencloitre .
The city of Châtellerault has a hospital center located in the northeast of the city ( Camille-Guérin hospital ), a medical center (near the hospital, at Les Minimes) and a clinic of the Kapa Santé group.
Presence of three departments of the Poitiers University Institute of Technology : network and telecommunications, physical measurements and marketing techniques. There is also a school for non-commissioned officers of the national gendarmerie .
Industrial and civil heritage
- The “Manu” (site of the old arms factory), with the car, motorcycle, bicycle museum and the two towers.
- Sully hotel is a mansion of the xvii th century which was built with the surplus of stones for the building of Henri IV bridge. The extremely varied collections relate mainly to the history of Châtellerault and its surroundings and include paintings and sculptures by local artists or from religious establishments in the city, but also archeology, earthenware, cutlery and weapons.
- The Henri-IV bridge was commissioned in 1565 by Catherine de Medici to replace a wooden bridge. It was designed by Jacques Androuet du Cerceau, architect of the Pont Neuf in Paris.
- The Camille-de-Hogues Bridge, the first reinforced concrete road bridge in France, built in 1899 during the mandate of Mayor Camille de Hogues .
- The Pont d’Estrées, a bridge over the Envigne , placed on the road from Paris to Bordeaux, was rebuilt by order of Mr. de Beaussant, manager of Poitou between 1728 and 1732. The bridge was restored and widened in 1933. In 1975, the stone bridge is repeated in a concrete masonry.
- Downstream railway bridge built in 1954 by the Baudet-Donon-Roussel establishments.
- Upstream bridge of the eastern bypass of Châtellerault, mixed bridge built over the Vienne between 2006 and 2007.
- The castle and the park of the Verger.
- Hot air balloons : Châtellerault has now acquired an international reputation thanks to the hot air balloon competitions it organizes:
- “Jazzellerault”: since 1994, the city of Châtellerault has hosted an annual jazz festival in June, bringing together the biggest names and groups from the national and international jazz scene.
- In the 1970s, the Maison des Jeunes et de la Culture organized jazz concerts with visitors from Archie Shepp and Anthony Braxton.
- “Visa Vacances”: this activity takes place during the summer holidays; free, it allows as many people as possible to participate in sporting and cultural activities.
- “Le Raid-Aventure”: annual event that pits teams of teenagers against each other during sporting activities.
- “Euro Model’s”: Annual model exhibition, there are models of airplanes, cars, boats and trains.
- The city’s football club is the Stade Olympique Châtelleraudais (SOC), created onNovember 21, 1914 and which evolves in the French football championship of National 3 ;
- The HBCC (Handball Club Châtellerault) founded in 1965, has 200 licensees and trains many young people to play at the Sanital gymnasium near the industrial area of the same name.
- The CRAC (Châtellerault Rugby Athlétique Club) practices rugby at regional level at the Stade des Loges.
- The Châtelleraudaise gymnastics team, teamgym, won second place in the 2014 French championship.