Chomutov

Chomutov is a city in the Czech Republic, in the Ústí nad Labem Region. Chomutov has been a statutory city since 1 July 2006. It occupies an area of 29.26 km² and has almost 50,000 inhabitants. There are almost 80,000 inhabitants in the city’s wider metropolitan area.

Administrative division

Chomutov is a municipality with extended competence, meaning the city holds certain administrative powers delegated from the state government. Of the 24 other municipalities that make up the metropolitan area, one (Jirkov) has an authorized municipality office, meaning it is delegated some parts of the authority of a municipality with extended competence. The administrative territory of Chomutov borders with Germany in the north. Additionally, it borders with the territories of Kadaň in the west, Louny in the south, Most in the east and Litvínov in the northeast.

Historical sights

Pillar of Trinity
The centre of the historical city is in the shape of an oblong, and is surrounded by arcades. The Square of 1 May with its baroque Pillar of Trinity by Ambrož Laurentis from 1697 is banked by seven statues of saints built between 1725 and 1732.

The Town Hall is situated in the northwest side and it used to be a commendam until 1607. The Town Hall is situated next to the church of St. Catherine built in early Gothic style and finished in 1281.

On the opposite side there is the church of Assumption Virgin Mary, built in late Gothic style between 1518 and 1542, which is situated next to the 53 m tall City Tower which was renovated after the fire in 1525 and which is used as an observation tower.

Church of Saint Ignatius
At the end of the south side there is the Baroque church of St. Ignatz with two towers on the north frontage. The church was built for Jesuits by Carlo Lurago between 1663 and 1671. The building called Špejchar from the 17th century was used by Jesuits as earlier church and it adjoins the east side of the church of St. Ignatz. Nowadays it is used as a gallery.

There is a Jesuitical dormitory south of the church of St. Ignatz from the 16th and 17th century which is nowadays a settlement of the city museum. The most important building from the Gothic residential houses is the late Gothic house no. 9, which is at the bottom of the northeast side of the square.

Alum Lake, at an altitude of 337 m, is located on the northeast edge of Chomutov. It was caused at the end of the 18th century by flooding the mines used between the 16th and 18th centuries. It occupies an area of 16.3 ha, the maximum depth is 3.25 m and its volume is 285,000 m³. The high content (about 1%) of alum in the water from Alum Lake prevents the lake from the growth of weed and anabaena. For that reason it is very frequently visited in the summer months.

The Ore Mountains Zoo borders with the Alum Lake on its north side. It is a zoo concentrated mostly on breeding European and mainly domestic wild animals (wolf, european bison, etc.).

Bezruč Valley is a 13 km long and 200 m deep woody valley on the river Chomutovka in the northwestern side of the city and it is a popular place for trips.

Strážiště Hill (551 m) rises over the northern edge of Chomutov and on its peak there is a hotel with an observation tower.

Contact

Chomutov
email
podatelna@chomutov-mesto.cz
address
Zborovská 4602 430 28 Chomutov
phone
474 637 111