The Collegiate Church of St. Peter and St. Guido is a Roman Catholic collegiate church located in the centre of Anderlecht, a municipality of Brussels (Belgium). It is dedicated to Saint Guy, the patron saint of the Anderlecht, and was built between the 14th and 16th centuries in Brabantine Gothic style. Its neo-Gothic spire dates from the 19th century.
The Gothic building that we know today was erected in stages from 1350 to 1527. Jan van Ruysbroeck, the court architect of Philip the Good, who also designed the tower of Brussels’ Town Hall, was responsible for the works between 1479 and 1485. The square tower dates from 1517.
In the crypt beneath the church lies a very old tombstone with no inscription. A long tradition of pilgrimages consider it to be the tomb of Saint Guy (French: Saint Guidon, Dutch: Saint Guido), the Poor Man of Anderlecht, who died around 1012. The following centuries, the tomb of Saint Guy began to attract a large number of pilgrims, eventually becoming a place of dedication for the saint.
Restoration works were carried out on the church between 1843 and 1847, under the direction of the architect Jules-Jacques Van Ysendyck, which lead to the discovery of several wall paintings. In 1898, the square tower was surmounted with a spire, giving the church its current appearance.
The church was designated a historic monument on 25 October 1938. It was the subject of a cleaning campaign from 1994 to 1997.