The colors of the sea fade from light blue to emerald green, embellishing a coast rich in history and nature, insomuch as to deserve the definition of protected sea area since 1991
Crotone is a city and comune in Calabria. Founded c. 710 BC as the Achaean colony of Kroton, it was known as Cotrone from the Middle Ages until 1928, when its name was changed to the current one. In 1992, it became the capital of the newly established Province of Crotone. As of August 2018, its population was about 65,000.
Precious sea areas, not far from the mountains and from natural paradisiac oases. The Province of Crotone in Calabria is relatively young, founded in 1992 by separating part of the territory formerly included in the province of Catanzaro, now bordering on southwest, while the Province of Cosenza borders on the northwest. In the east, the Province of Crotone overlooks the Ionian Sea.
Crotone is a city and comune in Calabria. Founded c. 710 BC as the Achaean colony of Kroton, it was known as Cotrone from the Middle Ages until 1928, when its name was changed to the current one. In 1992, it became the capital of the newly established Province of Crotone.
According to Ovid’s legend, the capital owes its name to Hercules: the half-god, returning from one of his mythological labors, wanted to honor his friend Crotone, accidentally injured to death by the hero himself.
Among the most renowned sites, the Castle of Charles V is situated in the ancient part of the city, and so is the Cathedral, which hosts important and precious artisan works. Along the fortified walls of the castle lie the historic city center with its nobile palaces, visible in the old city. The National Archaeological Museum exhibits unique items, foremost among them Hera’s treasure.
Just a few miles away from the city, the archaeological area of Capo Colonna iswhere the ancient temple of Hera Lacinia once rose. Cirò, renowned for the homonymous wine, is situated on a hill dominating Punta Alice, around the remains of the Carafa Feudal Castle. The ancient village is well-preserved and comprises many genteel dwellings, tangled streets, flights of stairs and religious buildings. The most ancient part of the village begins at Porta di Mavilia. In this area historic residences, such as the Capoano Palace, the Vergi Palace, the Pignataro, Astorini-Susanna, Liotti and Adorisio Palaces can be admired.
Located along the coast of Southern Italy, Crotone attracts tourists from all around the country as well as the world due to its panoramic location and its classic Italian lifestyle. The city has had a long and eventful history, with several ups and downs, and has now managed to become an economically renewed urban location.
Cirò Marina was detached from the Comune of Cirò in 1952. Here stand important archaeological and cultural centers, specifically the ruins of Apollo’s temple in the Doric style, discovered in Punta Alice in 1921. The center of the town is surrounded by orange grooves, vineyards and olive grooves. Since 2004 it has been awarded the prestigious Blue Flag for the cleanliness of its sea and the quality of its beach services and offerings.
Isola di Capo Rizzuto also boasts rather ancient origins. Its name derives from the term asylos, meaning shelter in the Greek. Le Castella is a very famous resort characterized by the beauty of the sea and of its Aragonese Castle, which seems to rise out of the waters; the Castle is linked to the rest of the terrain by a small strip of land. The Cathedral of Capo Rizzuto has been an episcopal seat since 1818. Then, theAquarium, also a Sea Environment Educational Center if ideal for younger visitors. Finally, the Old and New Towers are part of the coastal defensive system.
San Severina is one of the most suggestive centers of the region: it is situated on a rocky cliff at 1,070 feet above sea level, in the center of the Neto River Valley. Due to its peculiar location, it is called the “stone ship.” San Severina’s Castle, with its imposing four towers, can be seen from every corner of the valley. The Cathedral dates back to the 13th Century and still bears the traces left by centuries of history. The Church of Santa Filomena, also known as “Pozzolino,” is developed on two levels, the lower part of which is dedicated to the Madonna del Pozzo.
- The Cathedral, originally from the 9th to 11th centuries, but largely rebuilt. It has a neo-classical façade, while the interior has a nave with two aisles, with Baroque decorations. Noteworthy are a baptismal font (12th century) and the Madonna di Capo Colonna, the icon of the Black Madonna which, according to the tradition, was brought from East in the first years of the Christian era.
- The 16th-century Castle of Charles V. It houses the Town Museum, with findings excavated in the ancient site of Kroton. Notable are also the remnants of the walls, of the same century, and of various watchtowers.
- The ancient castle built on an island, with accessibility on foot limited to a narrow strip of land, is referred to as Le Castella.
Crotone hosts a national archaeological museum, a municipal museum, a municipal art gallery, and a provincial museum of contemporary art, as well as the Antiquarium di Torre Nao.
- National Archaeological Museum: founded in 1968, it is located on Risorgimento street, in the heart of the historic city center. The building consists of two floors and contains all of the most significant finds from the archaeological sites of the entire territory Crotone. In particular rich archaeological finds come from the Sanctuary of Hera Lacinia site in Capo Colonna.