Dorog is a small town in Komárom-Esztergom, Hungary. It lies 38 km (24 mi) north-west from the center of Budapest.
Culture, education, sports
There are three municipal kindergartens (Zrínyi Ilona Kindergarten, Petőfi Sándor Kindergarten, Hétszínvirág Kindergarten), one corporate (Richter Kindergarten) kindergarten and three primary schools ( Zrínyi Ilona Primary School, Petőfi Sándor Primary School, Eötvös József Primary School). The city’s secondary school is the Zsigmondy Vilmos Grammar School and Informatics Vocational High School , which has advanced foreign language, programming and general grammar school classes. The Ferenc Erkel Music School is responsible for the music education of the whole micro-region through both the city and its branch institutions .
The center of the city’s cultural and public life is the renovated, imposing Attila József Cultural House , which also has a theater, ballroom and cinema. There is also a well-stocked library for readers. Dorog’s musical life is also significant. A key player is the Mining Orchestra , which celebrated its 120th anniversary in 2009.
The city has traditionally had a significant sporting life . Football, wrestling, athletics and mountaineering play a key role in Dorog’s life. Two members of the Golden Team : Jenő Buzánszky and Gyula Grosics also started their careers in Dorog. The city’s football team played in the first division for a total of twenty-three seasons between 1945 and 1977 , from now on it played in the Hungarian Cup final in 1952 , and was the best team in the region five times. He is currently in the second division .
Points of interest
- St. Joseph Parish Church , 1767-1776, Baroque style
- Hospital Chapel, 1924, Classicist
- Music pavilion , 1924, designed by Zoltán Gáthy
- Schmidt Villa , 1925, designed by Zoltán Gáthy
- House of Institutions, 1926, plan. Robert Fleischl , formerly the mining company’s central office building
- Heroes’ Square (World War I and II Memorial, ’56 Memorial Stone), 1927
- Town Hall, 1927, plan. Zoltán Gáthy, classicist
- Mary’s Cave , 1926-1928
- Calvary, 1928, the picturesque view of the city, the Esztergom Basilica , the Pilis and the Buda Hills Lärchenhof
- Attila József Cultural House , 1923-1929, plan. Robert Fleischl, classicist
- St. Barbara Mining Church , 1924-1931, plan. Zoltán Gáthy
- Transylvanian style Reformed church , 1935-1936, plan. Károly Puskás
- Jubilee Square and the Jubilee Monument , 1981, built for the 800th anniversary of the existence of the settlement and the 200th anniversary of coal mining
- Bányász Memorial House , 1983
- Dorog Sports Museum , 1999
- German National Memorial House (Deutsche Heimatmuseum), 2001
- Schmidt Sándor Agora, 2015
- Zoltán Gáthy City Library and Local History Museum, 1953, plan. Zoltán Gáthy, renovated in 2015 (former János Arany library).