Dunakeszi

Dunakeszi is a city in Pest countyBudapest metropolitan areaHungary. It is located to the north of Budapest on the left bank of the Danube.

Sights

St. Michael’s Church 

For those arriving from the capital on the main road, the two-tower building of St. Michael’s Church, which dominates the cityscape, first appears before his eyes. The church , built more than 250 years ago by the then owner of Dunakeszi, Count Antal Grassalkovich (I.) , was built by the royal chamberlain and consecrated on September 29, 1756, St. Michael’s Day By the turn of the 19th century, it had become small for the local, Hungarian-speaking, Catholic community. Therefore, the parish priest János Faludi (Fieszl) from Dunakeszi (1935–1956) asked architect Gyula Oszvaldik to prepare the plans for the new church. 

Heroic Monument

The artistically elaborated Heroic Monument, erected in 1928 in memory of the victims of the First World War, is a two-minute walk from St. Michael’s Church (Szent István utca 29.). The sculptors of Szongfried Prongrácz and József Reichenberger are the creators of the blue limestone sculpture. Lower the widow’s mother embraces two orphans, for which the artists used local models. In the upper part, a World War I soldier holds the pole of the Hungarian flag with a double cross. 

Reverend Park 

An interesting sight for the visitor to the city can be found in the well-kept old cemetery of the city, the Reverend Park, located along the Main Road. Its oldest tombstone is from 1811. The park also houses the city’s ’56 monument to the Phoenix of Pannonia (better known as Stork), the work of local art teacher István Lengyel, on the 40th anniversary of the revolution in 1996. The monument is made of public donations and depicts a freshly nailed stork nailed to the ground with a chain and headstones. The figure is a chapel-like structure covered with wooden shingles. The freshman turns his head to the sky, raising his leg. Total height: 5 meters. The stork’s body is made of oak, its legs and the soul bell suspended from metal inside. The beak has red folk motifs carved on its wings. 

Atilla statue and memorial 

Next to the Religious Park, there is a statue and memorial site of Grand Duke Atilla, organized by the Dunakeszi Civilian Circle of Friends and the DunArt Fine Arts Association, with the support of local patriots and the Local Government, which was inaugurated in 2017.  The bust of the king was made by József Vincze, the sword and bow by István Czinege, the inscriptions and symbols by Nándor Péter. The motifs of a bench praise the work of Dér Győző. The concrete column was covered with limestone from the oven, the symbols and inscriptions were sandblasted on it. 

Danube bank 

Arriving on the banks of the Danube, we can spend pleasant minutes on the promenade, where cozy restaurants and patisseries await those who admire the beauty of the river. Near the Horányi ferry is the city’s Roman monument, one of the remains of the limes fortress system. The area is now being explored and made demonstrable. The cycling route also starts from the bank of the Danube, with which tourists arriving in the city can even reach Szob. Along the EuroVelo route under construction , there is also the free Danube beach of the city, which was handed over in 2018.

Late Roman Port Fortress 

The Danube line 28–32. s. The building below is a characteristic specimen of the Roman port forts typical of the late imperial period, with a central and two corner towers, the walls of which have been preserved in places up to a height of 140 cm. Such forts formed a series of contra castrum grounds on the left bank of the Danube (i.e., falling on the enemy territory) , built by Emperor Valentinian I. Your port fortress protected the Dunakeszi-Horány harbor, its counterpart was located on the Horány side. The protection of the ferry was not only important from a military point of view, but – according to the plans – the Göd would have been transported through it.-The raw materials, supplies, etc. of the large fortress to be built in Bócsaújtelep. The Dunakeszi port fortress was home to 25-30 soldiers and a maximum of 50 soldiers at the same time, with their families. Today, the Danube line no. a privately owned museum shows how they lived here in Roman times.

Church of the Heart of Jesus 

MÁV’s Dunakeszi Main Workshop started its operation in 1926. The Catholic parish of the settlement was established as early as 1928, but their church was not established until 1944. The main organizer of the church construction was Ferenc Lányi, the head of the workshop, the necessary financial basis was created from public donations and through MÁV. The plans of the church were made by István Pázmándi, an assistant professor at the Budapest University of Technology, and its interior equipment was made by the staff of the Main Workshop at that time, in social work, just as some of the decorations were made by them. The altar of Mary is the work of Antal A. József, the ceiling is the work of Antal Csetényi. Its main altar was made in 1961 by the painter Gyula Károly from Keszthely. 

Workshop – Factory 

In the streets around the Church of the Heart of Jesus you will find the workshop area of ​​the workshop, built in the 1920s, with beautiful Art Nouveau houses. From the very beginning, MÁV sought to establish a site in the area, separate from Dunakeszi, which would serve as a residence for MÁV employees. The large Hungarian railway housing estates developed mainly around the main workshops, the last of which is the Dunakeszi – Workshop, which began construction in 1922, and whose two-storey buildings were built on blocks. The houses of the Dunakeszi site were designed by Henrik Kotál, who worked in the office of Ignác Alpár, in 1919–1920, who also designed it for MÁV during this period, and he writes the “K” type houses of Wekerletelep . 

József Attila Cultural Center

The József Attila Cultural Center, built in 1914, is the center of the Workshop, the venue for many exhibitions and cultural events. In front of the main entrance of the cultural center we can find the memorial plaque of Attila Gérecz, a poet born in Dunakeszi and died a heroic death in the 1956 revolution. 

St. Imre Church 

On the other side of the railway, in Alagon, in the square named after it, rises the Church of St. Imre, built between 1935 and 1939, the first “levente church” in the country, designed by Gáspár Fábián. The leadership wanted “the first Levente church in our country to be beautiful and worthy of the greatness of God, and to be Hungarian to the brim” .  The main features of the neo-Romanesque building are Zsolnay’s tiled tower and its beautiful interior architecture, similar to early Christian basilicas. 

St. John of Nepomuk (Equestrian Association) Chapel 

In Kápolna Street, close to the Horse Racing Track, is the Chapel of St. John of Nepomuk (commonly known as the Equestrian Chapel), built in 1905–1906 thanks to the donations of money from three families of counts. The chapel was established for the spiritual service of the followers of Alag, who had a growing population and became an independent settlement in 1910. There was a school next to it. He survived the World Wars, but on September 8, 1952, a nearby ammunition depot explosion caused significant damage to the building, which was only restored by 2003.

City Hall 

At the beginning of the village there was a thatched village house, which, however, was built in the 19th and 20th centuries. By the turn of the 19th century, the settlement had grown. In 1900, it was decided to build a larger village hall, which will be located at 25 Fő út. received a seat under. Based on the plans of designer Károly Salkovits, master builder Rezső Berzina built the building, which was completed in 1901.  In addition to the municipal management and administrative staff, the headquarters of the Dunakeszi Voluntary Fire Brigade was also here. The middle part of today’s building is the original part of the building, handed over in 1901, the expansion took place in 1996, and the wings of the building were in line with the original.

ARC. Béla Király tér 

Dunakeszi’s new main square, handed over in 2014, is located next to the Town Hall. Its northeastern corner bears the title of “Country Builder” made by Erős Apolka. ARC. It is occupied by a statue of King Bela. The first written mention of the Dunakeszi room in 1255, IV. It happened in one of King Bela’s donation letters, called Kesző. The Main Square serves as a community space for the people of Dunakeszi and the visitors. This is where the Advent Fair, the related programs, the Advent candlelighting of the kindergarten and church communities, the design of the skating rink take place, as well as the city’s August 20 celebration.

Primary Racecourse and Training Center

Walking down the tunnel, we can’t miss the training center and the horse race track, built in 1891 and then rebuilt in 1896. Although there are no races on the track at the moment, the best domestic racehorses still train here, including the world-famous Overdose. The old mansions in the area are listed. Excellent walking opportunity in a tidy, pleasant environment. 

Airport 

Next to the racecourse is the city’s municipally owned sailing and sports airport, where two flying clubs await those wishing to fly: the Opitz Nándor Flying Club and the Malév Aero Club . Sport flying and sport pilot training at the airport are also taking place in both clubs. Here is also the base of the Hungarian Glider Frame.

The airport was established by the Soviet army after the Russian military occupation of Dunakeszi at the end of 1944, thus supporting the bombing of Budapest. It later became a citadel of sport flying. Id. Erno Rubik repülőmodelljét named Shrike in developed and tested here.

Alagi-majori church ruins 

In the Middle Ages, at the end of the 12th century – 13. The Romanesque round church built in the first half of the 16th century and the Gothic-style sacristy and sanctuary ruins added to it in the 15th century offer an impressive sight under the shady trees. A plaque on the listed building proclaims its history. 

Pride point 

Kincsem utca 1.. The Pride Point was set up by the city on the occasion of the 60th anniversary of the 1956 Revolution and War of Independence , the 56th Memorial Year, with tender money. The work of Apolka Erős entitled “Memory” won in the competition of ideas announced by the Municipality . The supernatural hand carved from Carrara marble holds the course of Hungarian history – shaped from bronze. The historic events in three verses detail suggests that secures the tape: woman clarion some of the known range of Gyula Somogyváry Heroes Memorial feet poem on the details and the 60th anniversary slogan: “Where heroes are not forgotten, there will always be new ones”. Strong Apolka also conveyed a message with the creases visible on the tape: he wanted to depict a kind of stratification, as the events of history alternate, follow each other, naturally fracture lines are created. The semicircular memorial site in the background includes three concrete panels. This is where the names of the heroes of the First and Second World Wars, the Holocaust and the Red Terror, and the 1956 Revolution and War of Independence were added. 

Contact

Dunakeszi Mayor's Office:
email
kozvilagitas@kozvilagitas.hu
address
2120 Dunakeszi, Fő út 25.
phone
+36 27 542 800