Épinay-sur-Seine is a French commune , located in the department of Seine-Saint-Denis in the Île-de-France region . It is located at the western end of the department, at the limit of Hauts-de-Seine and Val-d’Oise . Its inhabitants are called the Spinassians .
Lines of communication and transport
The Enghien (Cygne d’Enghien) – Trinité (Church of the Trinity in Paris) tram was commissioned by the Compagnie des Tramways Électrique du Nord-Parisiens on September 26 , 1900.
The Great Belt
The Grande Ceinture line is a railway line that goes all around Paris.
The two main transport hubs are:
The town is marked by the presence of many large groups such as the cities of Orgemont, La Source and Presles, but has retained traditional residential areas, also including garden cities ( City-garden Blumenthal , on the edge of Villetaneuse , Orgemont, on the edge of Argenteuil ).
The Cygne d’Enghien sector, bordering this city and its lake , is the most expensive district of the city with the Blumenthal district, with its very quiet houses, and which constitutes one of the three garden cities of the city. The Orgemont district is the least posh in the city. Another very residential area, quiet and little known, is located along the banks of the Seine, following the towpath.
The restructuring of Epicenter, the downtown shopping center, is an essential part of the renovation of the city center.
In addition, the city, which has a long facade on the Seine , benefits from a major asset for its living environment: its banks. Preserved from any road network, the city benefits from one of the longest stretches of riverbanks preserved and transformed on the one hand into a park in the inner suburbs of Paris and on the other hand into a residential habitat sheltered from noise pollution.
Two high schools are present in Épinay:
- the Jacques-Feyder general education high school , which includes 4 preparatory classes for higher education, BTS classes and a partnership with Sciences Po .
- Louise-Michel vocational and technical high school
as well as 4 colleges, 16 primary schools and 14 nursery schools.
The city has the Light Space (650-seat performance hall), the House of Theater and Dance , a music and dance conservatory, the Musical Pole of Orgemont , as well as a multiplex to the CGR brand.
Three media libraries from the Plaine Commune public reading network serve the city: the Jules Vallès media library, the Colette media library and the Albert Camus media library.
The city is home to the departmental archeology center of Seine-Saint-Denis.
Épinay is a municipality mainly devoted to housing, but nevertheless includes a significant economic fabric. The Laboratoires Éclair and Studios Éclair are the best known of these companies, given their major historical role in the history of French film and, today, in the economy of cinema and television production.
Several films have had sequences shot in Épinay, including Léon Morin, priest , by Jean-Pierre Melville with Jean-Paul Belmondo , Le Mouton , by Pierre Chevalier etc.
Other companies should be mentioned, such as Naf Naf – Chevignon, chemicals (Seratec), international trade (Métalarc), industrial engineering (Iron and steel industry, Forges and Foundries), food (Gelati Marsala ), the service (Star’s service), the Polyclinique des Presles.
However, companies with fewer than five employees are in the majority and there has been a decrease of nearly 9% in the number of establishments over the last decade.
Local Culture and Heritage
Places and monuments
The town hall has occupied since July 19 , 1908the former stately hotel in the fiefdom of Ormesson. The existence of a house on this site is mentioned as early as 1306 ; the lords of the village then reside there. The windows of the west wing are decorated with masks on the keystones representing the four continents.
The municipality installs the town hall in the castle (decor of the council chamber of 1911 , previously located in a small two-storey house located near the Saint-Médard church, rue de Paris.
Church of Our Lady of the Missions
The Notre-Dame-des-Missions, located at 102, avenue Joffre, was the chapel of the Catholic missions. It presents an astonishing diversity of styles, with a half- Annamite , half- Art Deco facade . The stained glass windows, paintings and sculptures are made by artists from the Ateliers d’Art sacré (founded in 1919 by the painters Maurice Denis and George Desvallières ) under the direction of Henri de Maistre.
The Saint-Médard church , built in 1743 by the Duke of Bourbon, Prince of Condé and partly destroyed during the Franco-Prussian War of 1870 , during the Combat d’Épinay.
Banks of the Seine
The banks of the Seine are in the process of reclaiming the landscape and the environment. The creation of a footbridge to allow pedestrians to reach the Île-Saint-Denis departmental park is planned.
Although the Mokarex coffee factory is closed and abandoned, its remains can still be seen at 101, avenue Jean-Jaurès.
- The war memorial is due to the chisel of the sculptor Carlo Sarrabezolles , who also participated in the decoration of the Church of Notre-Dame-des-Missions .
- The pigeon, Mulot Street, dates from the end of the xviii th century .
- The music pavilion, 6 avenue de la République, is the only vestige of Rose Bertin’s country house .
- The Épinay-sur-Seine cemetery houses the tomb of Baron de Lacépède , famous zoologist, and that of Georges Thibout .