From his high horse, Esbjerg’s founder King Christian IX looks out over the square towards the harbor.
After losing the duchies and Southern Jutland to Prussia in 1864, Denmark lacked a port on the west coast, and as a result, in 1868, the Riksdag passed the law on the construction of the Port of Esbjerg. The statue was erected in 1899 by Esbjerg citizens in connection with the city gaining status as a market town. On the plinth are the inscription “In honor of the City’s Founder, Citizens of Esbjerg erected this Memorial” and the Danish coat of arms in bronze with the king’s slogan “With God for glory and justice”.
Christian IX is also called the father-in-law of Europe, as he managed to get more of his children placed in the European royal and princely houses. Among other things. became two of his daughters resp. zarina of Russia and queen of England, and a son was elected king of Greece.
The artist is Ludvig Brandstrup.