Fertőd

Fertőd is a town located in the Győr-Moson-Sopron county of Hungary, not far from Austria. Fertőd was formed when the towns of Eszterháza and Süttör were unified, in 1950.

It is the location of one of Hungary’s best known palaces, Eszterháza, which was built in the 1760s by Prince Nikolaus Esterhazy.

History 

Süttör was the older part of the settlement. It is first mentioned in written sources in 1313 under the name Sehter . Archaeological finds indicate that it was already inhabited in the Stone Age . Ear ears from the Bronze Age have also been found. From the era of migration, Frankish hatchbacks emerged.

Medieval serf village . Its owners often took turns. In the 14th – 15th centuries, the Kanizsays inherited the title of landlord, and then palatine Tamás Nádasdy became the owner of a part of Süttör through marriage. The other part of the territory belongs to the prkola of the Nádasdys, later to their court master. Imre Megyery, the landlord of Sopron County, was also the landowner . The two parts of the estate were united by Ferenc Nádasdy in connection with an infidelity lawsuit . Following the lawsuit, the estate changed hands again. Later, Antal Esterházy takes care of himself and remains in the family for the next centuries. Bright Elek 1851. In its geographical dictionary of the year, it read: “Süttör Hungarian village near Eszterháza with 724 Catholic inhabitants.” Nowadays, there is a baking powder in the Szentendre Open-Air Ethnographic Museum , popularly known as the Szentendre Open-Air Museum as the ethnographic representative of the Lake Neusiedl area. 

The history of Eszterháza begins in the second half of the 18th century . It was founded by Miklós Esterházy (Fényes) on the shores of Lake Fertő on the border of Süttör . Based on his ideas and plans, in 1762 the reconstruction of the hunting lodge built decades earlier began with aristocratic splendor. By the time the castle came under the roof in 1766 , a village was born in its neighborhood, the name of which came from the Esterházy family . It is a one-street village with an urban layout, next to the original English stud and the beet sugar factory .

The deputy lord of Sopron county declared Eszterháza a village in 1906 .

Sights, tourism [ edit ]

  • Esterházy Castle – baroque monument with two former guard buildings, surrounded by Esterházy Castle (219 hectare park), former Marionette theater, castle garden bridge, statues in the park, restaurant baroque monument, former riding school (baroque monument),
  • House of Music – Baroque monument and museum for the cultivation of Haydn traditions, Local history exhibition, Haydn memorial room,
  • Süttör Roman Catholic Church ,
  • Fertő – Hanság National Park – the international recognition of the landscape is proved by the fact that in 1979 it was declared a biosphere reserve, and since 1989 it has been considered one of the internationally important wild waters of the Ramsar Convention. 1994 . On March 8, the Fertő-Hanság National Park was established with the addition of the Hanság Landscape Protection Area .
  • Excursions around Fertő-landscape – Sarród , Fertőszéplak , Hegykő , Nagycenk , Fertőrákos , Fertőszentmiklós , Pomogy (Austria).

Culture 

Cultural institutions, events 

The cultural and intellectual life of the city has two important and indispensable scenes. One is the Music House , the other is the Esterházy Castle, which has become a symbol of the settlement .

Contact

Fertőd Cultural House and Leisure Center
email
muvelodesszervezes@fertod.hu
address
9431 Fertőd Bartók Béla utca 5.
phone
+36203412401