Fonyód is a town and holiday resort on the southern shore of Lake Balaton, in north-west Somogy, western Hungary, with over 4700 residents. It is the seat of Fonyód District.
Mátyás Király Gimnázium
The building of the King Matthias Grammar School and the Postal Traffic Vocational High School was built according to a type plan in 1963, between 1986 and 1989 it was expanded according to the plans of architect Ferenc Salamin, at which time it received the style features typical of Hungarian organic architecture.
The former Villa Gallery
Not far from the port, Fürdő u. No. 3 It was built in the early 1900s, originally owned by the mayor of Kaposvár, István Németh.
As a result of local, county and national cooperation, a villa building was re-enchanted in 2003 ( owned by Antal Velics , built in 1906), and in Bélatelep, Bartók Béla u. No. 3 The Fonyód Museum is located in the old cinema building, where, in addition to the permanent local historical and ethnographic material, visitors can get acquainted with the fauna and flora of Lake Balaton and the importance of nature protection. In addition, there are also temporary exhibitions.
The Fonyód Summer Festival was created in a tradition-creating way. This is the commemoration of the former defenders of the castle of Fonyód, where riders and archers dressed in period costumes will give a presentation at the excavated and restored Pheasant Palánkvár . The city has a long tradition of St. Stephen’s Day events, on August 20 every year. The event, which attracts a large number of interested people, will feature a parade of dancers dressed in folk costumes and the blessing of the new bread, combined with a short, ecumenical service. One of the largest winter gastronomic programs on Lake Balaton, the Fonyód Sausage Festival, organized since 2010 , attracts visitors from all over the country.
Points of interest
- The most impressive shopping line on the southern shore of Lake Balaton was completed in 2004 between the boat station and the beach
- The double act of the sculptor István Kiss on the waterfront became a symbol of the settlement.
- The monument of Antal Lányi , the first flyover of Lake Balaton, can be found here.
- In the Pheasant Park you can see the ramparts of the former pile building of the Pheasant Castle , the newly excavated moats and the foundation walls of the church standing in the castle.
- Press House Restaurant – one of the intact monuments of local folk architecture (more than 200 years old monument building)
- Wooden headboards in front of the Protestant Church in the Second World War civilian, in the Kossuth Memorial Forest is the first conjures up memories of two World War II heroes.
- The more than 100-year-old Roman Catholic church
- The bell tower of the chapel in Szent István Street is reminiscent of the Hungarian holy crown.
- The monument-protected villa line of Bélatelep was built in the 1890s.
- Castle Hill Lookout Tower (formerly Berzsenyi Lookout Tower, “Castle Hill Lookout Tower ” since 2012 )
- Wine castle
- Sipos mountain lookout
- Memorial plaque of András Fodor
- Twin town park
- Panoramic promenade
- Walko Lookout Tower (in memory of Lajos Walko )
- Crypt Villa (built in 1941)
- Kossuth Forest
- Szaplonczay Mano memorial column
- Statue of Mihály Pál entitled Wind of Lake Balaton
- Statue of Turul (2010)