Immaculate Conception Catholic Church
One of the most famous sights of Fót. It was built between 1845 and 1855 in the romantic style on the plans of Miklós Ybl . In addition to the Vigadó in Budapest , it is the most significant work of Hungarian romantic architecture .
The predecessor of Károlyi Castle was a one-storey, castle-shaped 18th century building, on which a floor was built in the early 19th century. The house’s chapel was also built at this time. A minor alteration was also made around 1830. The biggest transformation, based on the plans of Miklós Ybl, took place in the 1840s, changing the former classicist character of the castle to a romantic style according to the tastes of the time.
The building is currently (early 2017) home to the Children’s City of Fót (Károlyi István Children’s Center). According to the plans, the orphanage will be abolished, the children there will be placed in different parts of the country. Residents there could only find out about it from the press because the government refused to provide any information about the matter. The refugee and asylum-seeking children currently staying there will be placed in the Aszód Correctional Institution in accordance with the approach of the Hungarian refugee policy, which considers all those who cross the country illegally, including minors, to be criminals. The government refused to provide information on the matter in February 2018 either. According to undeniable news, the castle will become the property of Lőrinc Mészáros .
Fáy press house
The hut is a Reformed memorial site, built in 1837 by András Fáy and his guests. According to the legend, Mihály Vörösmarty wrote his famous, patriotic poem, the Fóti song, in 1842.The renovated Vörösmarty Cultural House (2014)
Fót Public Cultural and Public Collection Center (Vörösmarty Cultural House)
It was built in 1932 on the plot donated by István Károlyi with the cooperation of the residents of Fót. In addition to the large hall for 200 people, there are 5 rooms for groups. The Velvet Hall is home to various fine art exhibitions.
The renovation of the House of Culture took place in 2014. The renovated building was handed over in December 2014.
Németh Kálmán Memorial House
Kálmán Németh (1903-1979), a sculptor and restorer, turned his small village into a living museum, decorated his rooms with murals and sculptures, and lived in the same space with his works. He consciously kept his works together, he did not sell them for money, but the artist was happy to exchange works of art with friends, so his home is also decorated with many paintings and graphics. The self-carved seating furniture, table, wardrobe and door are also part of the permanent exhibition. He left his house, garden and works of fine art to the Council of the Municipality of Fót in 1978, on the condition that it be preserved and operated as a museum.
Most people call it Lake Fót. During socialism , there was a pioneering camp in the area. In the past, there were even pools in the area. In Fót, this lake currently offers fishing opportunities. No bathing There is a restaurant and a train station nearby. Currently, the area is unfortunately very neglected, large amounts of garbage have accumulated and acacia trees have also been cut down.
The name of Somlyó Hill has survived due to tradition, as it is not a mountain in terms of height. As early as 1952, it was declared protected because of the nearly 1,500 species of butterflies that lived there. The best known of these is the Fót buttercup. Although this “mountain” is a nature reserve, our fellow human beings can destroy nature with impunity with a motor, a quad. The sheltered, fragrant wild carnation, orphan hair here will also disappear soon if you don’t do anything about the city urgently.