The city is famous for its Muscat . Legend has it that, during his visit to Frontignan, Hercules accompanied by Zeus twisted the bottle to finish it until its last drop, hence its special shape.

Frontignan is a commune in the Hérault department in southern France. Frontignan is renowned for its AOC wine, the Muscat de Frontignan, a sweet wine made solely from the Muscat grape variety.


  • Municipal Museum (installed in the Chapel of the Penitents);
  • media library , which opened its doors in early 2015;
  • The Festival international du roman noir , an annual cultural event founded in 1998  ;
  • Municipal theater built by architect Louis Carlier in 1930, demolition in 1964 to be replaced by a Maison des Jeunes et de la Culture (MJC) associative structure. A new municipality decides to replace the MJC by creating the François-Villon Cultural Center with extension of the buildings;
  • The Muscat Festival (in July);
  • Saint Paul is the patron saint of the city of Frontignan, she pays homage to him every year for the Sea Festival in July: it is a traditional parade of the statue of Saint Paul on a boat from the Saint-Paul church on the Basin plan. Then, the statue of Saint Paul crosses the Ingril pond to the port of Frontignan-Plage where a celebration at sea takes place in homage to the missing sailors.

Local Specialties 

  • Miquettes: according to a tradition, in 1692, the brotherhood of the White Penitents celebrated Easter by distributing free bread to the needy of Frontignan. A century later, the Capuchin monks, in charge of the Saint-Jacques hospital, asked the baker Pascal to make a small brioche with anise, known for its therapeutic virtues. The small brioche became popular then fell into oblivion. In recent years, the Frontignan bullfighting club has revived the tradition that gives rise to the miquette festival;
  • The muscat of Frontignan and its famous twisted bottle .

Places and monuments 

Saint Paul’s Church – portal and wall of the early Romanesque church.The beach at Frontignan-Plage.Sunset at Aresquiers.

  • The Church of the Conversion of St. Paul ( xii th  century): it is the subject of a classification as historical monuments since June 1919;
  • The Chapel of the Penitents  : the door has been classified as a historical monument since the May 1939; the municipal museum is installed in the building;
  • The monuments to the dead on the Place Jean-Jaurès (town center) and the town hall annex (district of Peyrade). They pay homage to the military victims of the First and Second World Wars;
  • The stele in the place of June 25, 1944 in memory of the civilian victims of the bombing of the city center (Terres Blanches district);
  • The three cemeteries of Frontignan: the Vieux cemetery located at avenue des Carrières (town center), the Terres Blanches cemetery located on the road to Balaruc and that of Félibre (district of Peyrade);
  • Les Salins de Frontignan , protected by the Conservatoire du littoral  ;
  • The bridge of Peyrade ( xvii th  century), of which there remains some vestiges;
  • The Poulalion house;
  • The marina;
  • Five beaches: (Aresquiers-St Eugène, Tahiti Bergerie, Grau Port East, Port West, Mouettes l’Entrée), these are supervised during the summer period;
  • The Municipal Archives;
  • Capitelles (in Occitan capitèla ) or cabins built in dry stone located in the Gardiole frontignanaise. This area includes a high concentration of capitelles, such: the Croix de Rabassou, the hamlet of Capitelles,  etc.  ;
  • Lime  kiln: cylindrical-shaped kiln located in the Gardiole;
  • The Glacière tower: it was part of the ramparts and was used to store the food of the inhabitants;
  • The Aresquiers redoubt: Representing a surveillance signal tower of the Mediterranean coast, which the English will blow up in 1812; all that remains is a section of the wall and the foundations (2012) on the site of the fishermen’s quarter.


Town Hall
Via contact form
Town Hall - 34113 Frontignan la Peyrade
04 67 18 50 00