Gabčíkovo is a town and municipality in the Dunajská Streda District, in the Trnava Region of southwestern Slovakia. It has around 5,100 inhabitants of whom approximately 90% are Hungarians. After the Communist Czechoslovak takeover, the city was named after Jozef Gabčík, an important figure in the Czechoslovakian resistance to Nazi occupation.
In the 10th century, the territory of Gabčíkovo became part of the Kingdom of Hungary. In 1468, Hungarian king Matthias Corvinus gave Gabčíkovo, then known as Bős, the right of organizing a fair. It was part of Hungary and later Austria Hungary until the Treaty of Trianon. No plebiscites were allowed to take place despite the overwhelming majority of the population being Hungarian.
After the Austro-Hungarian army disintegrated in November 1918, Czechoslovak troops occupied the area, later acknowledged internationally by the Treaty of Trianon. Between 1938 and 1945 Bős once more became part of Miklós Horthy‘s Hungary through the First Vienna Award. From 1945 until the Velvet Divorce, it was part of Czechoslovakia. Since then it has been part of Slovakia.