Galați is the capital city of Galați County, in the historical region of Western Moldavia, in eastern Romania. Galați is a port town on the Danube River. It has been the only port for the most part of Moldavia‘s existence. In 2011, the Romanian census recorded 249,432 residents, making it the 8th most populous city in Romania. Galați is an economic centre based around the port of Galați, the naval shipyard, and the largest steel mill in Romania, Galați steel works.
In 2005, Galați ranked in the top two cities in Romania for green space per capita. Urban planning and maintenance activities are governed by the “Public Administration Public Domain Galați” (SPADP) Ecosal Prest, SC RER Ecological Service SRL, SC Citadine 98 SA.
Places of interest
Roman camp at Tirighina-Barbosi
From 1959 to 1962, archeological excavations were carried out at the Roman castellum in Barbosi. The site lies north of the Danube, near the mouth of the Siret. A comparison can be made to the fortress at Dinogetia. The archeologists found clear stratigraphy in the excavation. They located the Tirighina Dacian fortress, reinforced by an earthen bank. Finds included Dacian pottery from an import business. Also found was a silver coin dating the Dacian fortress to the first century BCE. A burning layer suggested damage to the fortress by fire. Also found were coins dating from the rule of Augustus(63 BCE – 14 AD) through to Nero (37AD – 68AD).
This house is located near the university, at 51 Royal Street. It was built by Lambrinidi Epaminonda, a Greek mill owner. He owned a machine shop to repair ships. The Prince Charles stayed at the house on a visit to Galați, in April 1879. It has served as the seat of the Court of Appeals; the Mihail Kogalniceanu High School and, after the earthquake of November 9, 1940, the city hall.
Robescu House was built about 1896. The architect was Ion Mincu. A Romanian tourist website describes the building: :”Robescu House has an elevated basement, two levels with two turret-balcony on the first floor and another balcony at the ground floor, to the street. The exterior decorations are made in Brancoveanu style, glossy ceramic plates. The glossy ceramic is used to decorate the floral upper register. Today it serves as the “Children’s Palace”.
Palace of Navigation (River Station)
This building was designed by Petre Antonescu. It dates to the late 19th century. It is the office of “Maritime Danube Ports Administration” and Navrom, which controls Romania’s navigable waterways.
This former “Palace of Justice” is a prominent architectural monument in the Galați old town. It was built between 1911 and 1913. Now, it is the university headquarters.
Meaning “Capitoline Wolf”, this statue was erected in 1995 and reflects Roman influence in Galați.
This building was erected in 1904 and 1905 and opened on 27 April 1906. Like Robescu House, it was designed by Ion Mincu. Frederick Storck contributed white marble sculptures of “industry” and “agriculture” at the top of the main façade. Other features are two bronze flags and a large clock which plays the waltz, “Danube Waves” by Joseph Ivanovich (1845–1902).