Giugliano in Campania

Italy

Head to sights like Parco Commerciale Auchan Giugliano and Magic World Water Park as you discover Giugliano in Campania—a city also known for its beaches.

Giugliano in Campania is a city and comune in the Metropolitan City of Naples, Campania, Italy. It is located in a fertile coastal plain north of Naples, thus serving as a market for agricultural products to the city. The plain on which it sits was known in ancient Roman times as the Campania Felix.

Main sights

  • Palazzo Pinelli, built in 1545 by architect Giovanni Francesco di Palma. It had a side tower, which was later demolished.
  • Church of Santa Sofia (17th century), designed by Domenico Fontana. It was finished in 1730-1745 by the Neapolitan architect Domenico Antonio Vaccaro. It houses the tomb of Giovan Battista Basile.
  • Church of the Annunziata, known from the 16th century. It is home to several canvasses by Neapolitan artists such as Massimo Stanzione and Carlo Sellitto. it has a nave with apse and transept; the pulpit is in Roccoco style, while the rest of the interior is decorated in Baroque style. Notable are also the large wooden organ (late 16th century), the Chapel of Madonna della Pace and early 16th Stories of the Virgin’ in the left transept.
  • Church of Sant’Anna. Of the original building, existing in the 14th century, the bell tower remains. It houses 16th-century paintings by Fabrizio Santafede and Pietro Negroni.
  • Church of Madonna delle Grazie, with a 14th-century bell tower and a 16th-century portal. The interior has a 15th-century Gothic Incoronation of the Virgin and early 16th-century frescoes.
  • Church of Santa Maria della Purità or of the Souls of Purgatory(18th century). It was designed by Domenico Antonio Vaccaro, who also designed the internal stuccos and the covering of the dome, made as fish scales. The structure is an octagonal plant and has four altars, besides the greater one.
  • Ancient town of Liternum. The excavations brought to light, between 1930 and 1936, some elements of the city center (forum with a temple, a basilica and a small theater) dating from the beginning of the Roman Empire. Outside the city walls, the remains of the amphitheater and the necropolis have been identified.
  • Lake Patria, in the frazione of the same name, it was called by ancient Roman “Literna Palus”. It is part of the Natural Reserve “Foce Volurno – Costa di Licola”.

Contact

Muncipality of Giugliano in Campania
email
Protocol@pec.comune.giugliano.na.it
address
Corso Campano, 200 ZIP code: 80014 (Naples)
phone
+39) 081 8956 001