Gödöllő is a town in Pest county, Budapest metropolitan area, Hungary, about 30 km (20 mi) northeast from the outskirts of Budapest. Its population is 34,396 according to the 2010 census and is growing rapidly. It can be easily reached from Budapest with the suburban railway (HÉV).
Gödöllő Royal Castle
The most famous landmark of the city is the Grassalkovich Castle or the Royal Castle of Gödöllő. Builder András Mayerhoffer was commissioned to build the castle after 1735 , which later underwent several extensions. It gained its present form by the end of the 19th century . After the extinction of the male branch of the Grassalkovich family, he had several owners of the castle, and finally, after the compromise , was appointed a royal resting residence in 1867 . Between the two world wars, the castle was arranged for Governor Miklós Horthy . 1945after the gradual destruction of the castle began. In one part of the building, a barracks of Soviet and Hungarian soldiers was built, in another part, a social home and emergency housing were established, and the park was torn down. The first monument protection works began in 1986 . In 1990 , Soviet soldiers left the castle, the social home moved to another building. Renovation of one of the wings and the facade and roof structure of the main building was completed soon. Today, the castle museum can be seen in an area of nearly 1000 m², in 23 rooms, with completely restored interiors. There are many ballrooms of different sizes available for different events.
On the site of the castle church originally stood the Reformed church of the village , which was demolished during the construction of the castle so that the Catholic church of the castle could be built. Consecration in 1749 . took place on 16 May.
After the death of Queen Elizabeth , more than a hundred groves were established in the country. The Erzsébet Park in Gödöllő was one of the first to be established in November 1898. At the end of the promenade surrounded by rows of trees in 1901 . The statue of Elizabeth, made by sculptor József Róna , was unveiled on 19 May .
Shrine of Máriabesnyő
Its most important attraction is the pilgrimage church, which is the second most visited place of pilgrimage among the shrines of Mary in Hungary. Antal Grassalkovich founded the holy place in Máriabesnyő, the church was built on the site of the old church of the village, and while clearing the ruins, a statue of Mary was found, which inaugurated Besnyő. After the chapel was built in 1759, a statue of the Virgin Mary was brought from Loreto, Italy , and a 1-meter-high statue of a Lebanese cedar tree can still be seen behind the main altar. In 2008 , the church received the rank of a small basilica ( basilica minor ) .
The Hamvay mansion houses the Gödöllő City Museum and the Gödöllő City Cinema . The building was built in 1662 by landlord Ferenc Hamvay . In the middle of the 18th century , Grassalkovich had an additional floor built on the original ground floor building and converted it into a guest house. Around 1930 , the cinema was established in the building. It housed a primary school from 1948 , and the foundations of the museum were laid in the 1970s . Not long after, the local history collection pushed all other functions out of the building except the cinema. The collection 1988 frommuseum . There is a city market in the courtyard. By the late 1990s, this building had also been completely renovated. In 2001, the museum was awarded the “Museum of the Year 2000” professional award.
The Gödöllő Arboretum was founded in 1902 on an area of 190 hectares , and its installation was completed by 1914 . Before the Second World War , it was considered to be the most important arboretum in Hungary . It began to expand in 1960 and now operates on 350 acres. 90% are for forestry research purposes, 10% are park-like.
The sculptor József Lajos Velekei’s 9.3 meter high World Tree made of oak was inaugurated in 1992 as part of the Hungarian Freedom Day . The statue was damaged by a storm in 2008, and a new 7-meter-high work on a two-meter-high stone pedestal was handed over in 2010.
The renovated building of the Royal Castle in Gödöllő was built in 2011 . handed over on June 18 . The cost of the renovation was € 1.34 million , to which the Norwegian Fund contributed € 1.14 million.
- It used to be the town hall , then the District Office, now the Queen Elizabeth Hotel. It was built between 1910 and 1913. In 2006, it received monument protection. In 2008, a complete renovation was completed.
- St. Imre Roman Catholic Primary School is a listed building , built in 1879.
- Chopin’s statue: 1929 work by Ede Margó , which wasinaugurated in 1938 in Kőbánya , Szent László Square. It was kept in a warehouse between 1948 and 1982 . It was erected in 1983 in thegarden ofthe Frédéric Chopin Music School in Gödöllő, and then in 2010, on the 200th anniversary of the composer’s birth, it was restored and re-inaugurated in front of the music school.
- Elizabeth Statue and Calvary in Elizabeth Park
- Mary’s Column and Statue of St. Imre in Freedom Square
- Statue of St. John of Nepomuk next to the castle
- Statue of St. Florian in front of the fire department