Gyomaendrőd

Gyomaendrőd is a town in Békés county, Hungary.

Sights

  • Nature conservation areas: Torzsás-zug, Népliget
  • Kner Printing Museum (in the former Kner House)
  • City Museum with a collection of local history
  • City Gallery
  • Country house (former Farmhouse)
  • Roman Catholic church in the former Endrőd area ( braid style )
  • Reformed church in the former Gyoma area (braid style)
  • Liget Bath (Thermal bath in Erzsébet grove)
  • Ghetto plaque on the wall of the former Orphanage
  • Gyoma Jewish Cemetery and Holocaust Memorial by the Railway (2003)
  • Endrőd Jewish Cemetery, Dobó Street (in poor condition)

History

The smaller towns of Gyoma and Endrőd were united in 1982.  Gyoma was first mentioned in 1332, while Endrőd in 1416. Medieval towns were ruined due to the Ottoman wars, native Hungarian population fled from the area.[4] It was uninhabited until the early 18th century, when Calvinist Hungarians reestablished Gyoma. Calvinist church was built from 1791 to 1813. Endrőd was rebuilt by Roman Catholic Slovaks and Hungarians from Upper Hungary. Slovaks adopted Hungarian language and assimilated into the Hungarian majority by the 19th century. Lutheran Germans also settled in Gyoma in the early 19th century, their church was built in 1862. In the 20th century Gyomaendrőd became a resort town, the government granted town rights in 1989.

Contact

Municipality
email
onkormanyzat@gyomaendrod.hu
address
5500 Gyomaendrőd, Selyem út 124.
phone
+ 36-66-386-122