Haguenau is a commune in the Bas-Rhin department of France, of which it is a sub-prefecture. It is second in size in the Bas-Rhin only to Strasbourg, some 30 km (19 mi) to the south. To the north of the town, the Forest of Haguenau is the largest undivided forest in France.
Haguenau was founded by German dukes and has swapped back and forth several times between Germany and France over the centuries, with its spelling altering between “Hagenau” and “Haguenau” by the turn. It was part of the German Empire for 48 years from 1871 to 1918, when at the end of World War I it was returned to France. This transfer was officially ratified in 1919 with the Treaty of Versailles.
|Mayor (2020–2026)||Claude Sturni|
|Area1||182.59 km2 (70.50 sq mi)|
|Population (Jan. 2017)||34,504|
|Time zone||UTC+01:00 (CET)|
|Summer (DST)||UTC+02:00 (CEST)|
The Sandlach business area, created in 1978, is located on route de Bitche (west of the city). The most important companies are Mars , an American food group that owns the Mars chocolate bar, based in Haguenau since 1974, Schaeffler Gruppe, Siemens – mechatronics center of group in Schweighouse-sur-Moder and Trumpf . The Soufflenheim road business area is to the north-east of the city. The most important company is SEW-Usocome present since 1961.
There are two main shopping areas:
- A shopping area, created in 1981, is located to the east at Taubenhof, route du Rhin with the Cora hypermarket.
- A shopping area is located to the west in the neighboring town of Schweighouse-sur-Moder with the Auchan hypermarket .
The Institut universitaire de technologie de Haguenau (IUT) was founded in 2006. It is a branch of the University of Strasbourg.
It has three health establishments : the Haguenau hospital center located to the south of the city and two private clinics, the Saint-François clinic and the Sainte-Odile clinic of the Capio group .
Local Culture and Heritage
Fairs and markets
- The four annual fairs (one Tuesday): the Candlemas fair, the May fair (mid-May), the Saint Michel fair (early October) and the Saint Martin fair (first week of November).
- Markets, Tuesday and Friday at the Halle aux Houblons.
- The lounges (property, marriage, food) or exhibitions at the hall 1 st floor of the Old Custom House, the Espace Saint-Martin, the Hall of hops, the room Corporate and Media Haguenau .
- The voice or an instrument “in all its forms”, series of concerts around the voice or a musical instrument a weekend at the end of March or early April.
- The “Humour des Notes” Festival (first or second half of May):
- The Music Festival, the 21st of June.
- National Day on 13 and July 14th : parade, concerts, fireworks and fireworks ball.
- The Festival of Hops or Folklores of the World, created in 1960, takes place from 20 to August
- The instrumental or vocal concerts at the Protestant church, the Saint-Georges church, the Saint-Nicolas church, the Saint-Joseph church, the Marienthal basilica and the theater.
- The organs of Haguenau
- The Christmas market, a Christmas concer and activities (exhibitions, concerts) from late November to early January.
- The Theater (420 seats):
- The Alsatian Theater:
- The Sébastien Loeb sports area is used for handball, basketball, badminton, volleyball, table tennis and has a climbing wall.
- La Maison des Sports (basketball, handball, athletics, karate, aikido, boxing).
- Le Hall du Manège (football, indoor athletics, rollerblading).
- the multi-purpose hall of Marienthal (basketball, table tennis, goshindo, dance).
- Indoor (Nautiland) and outdoor swimming pools.
- The “Bowl d’Hag”, an indoor skatepark of 900 m 2 , the only indoor skatepark in eastern France. Lessons and equipment rentals (helmet, skate and rollerblades) are available
- The sports park is used for football, American football, rugby and track and field.
- The Réal Schloessel (Château Fiat) and Marienthal stadiums are used for football.
- The Aerodrome Haguenau .
- The Forest of Haguenau .
Places and monuments
Nearly two hundred buildings are listed on the Mérimée database:
- The Porte de Wissembourg , located on a roundabout ;
- The Fisherman’s Tower , located near the Moder ;
- The Tower of the Knights, located in front of the Town Hall ;
- The St. George attic (tithe barn), xvi th century;
- Hôtel Fleckenstein, one of the oldest residences in Haguenau, with a staircase turret dating from 1544;
- The Zuckmantel house with its oriel from 1565;
- Hotel Royal Praetor (representation of the king in the city), dating from the xviii th century;
- The Hotel du Bailli Hoffmann and Barth hotel, xviii th century ;
- The Hôtel du Commandant de la Place
- Saint-Martin hospital known as bourgeois hospital;
- The former prison or military hospital also called Raspelhus , today a media library and part of the IUT;
- The site of the former imperial castle or “Pfalz”, then a military hospital, today the Saint-Joseph retirement home. Excavations carried out in 2005 made it possible to discover the organization and evolution of the imperial castle from 1150 as well as the medieval town separated from the castle by the Moder . A dump of pottery dating from the late xvii th century was discovered;
- The war memorial erected for French soldiers wounded in 1870 in Froeschwiller and dead in Haguenau;
- The war memorial for the association of German veterans of Haguenau, erected in 1886 and executed by Ch. Steffan;
- City Hall ;
- The Historical Museum , 9, rue du Maréchal-Foch, presents the history of Haguenau from the Neolithic period to the Second World War.
- The Alsatian Museum , 1 Place Joseph Thierry, retains traditional costumes, collection of religious paintings from the xviii th and xix th centuries.
- The luggage Museum , 5, rue Saint-Georges, this 600 trunks and suitcases of the xviii th century to the 1960s.
- The municipal theater (Italian-style theater ).
- La Halle aux Houblons, place of bi-weekly markets.
- The Haguenau Media Library , 24, rue Traband and the Pins library.
- The Saint-Georges church.
- The Saint-Joseph church, rue de l’Eglise, built in 1967 has at the back of the choir an organ from the Alsatian manufacture of Hattmatt and stained glass windows and a fresco by Tristan Ruhlmann.
- The Lutheran Church, Rue Foch neo-Gothic garrison.
- The Notre-Dame de Marienthal basilica , Place de la Basilique, in the town of Haguenau. Today, the reception of the sanctuary, spiritual animation and accommodation for pilgrims are provided today by the Benedictines of the Sacré-Cœur de Montmartre .
- The chapel of the Château Walk, rue du Député Hallez.
- The chapel of the Immaculate Conception, African Missions, rue des Missions Africaines.
- The Saint-Arbogast chapel, route de Schwabwiller au Gros-Chêne and its bell from 1826.
- The Saint-François chapel at the clinic, boulevard De Lattre.
- The chapel of the civil hospital or Espace Saint-Martin, current place of temporary exhibitions, Place d’Armes.
- The synagogue rue du Grand Rabbi Bloch, built in 1820 testifies to the importance of the Jewish community among the oldest in Alsace, sacked during the Occupation, damaged by a bombardment during the Liberation.
- The Evangelical Agapé Church, rue de la Ferme Falk.
- The Evangelical Church, boulevard de l’Europe.
- The Kingdom Hall of Jehovah’s Witnesses, rue Joffre.
- The Ulu Camii mosque, rue du Foulon.