Isaszeg

Hungary

Isaszeg is a city ​​in Pest County , Gödöllő District , in the Budapest agglomeration .

Sights

  • In the cemetery is St. Martin’s Roman Catholic Church, the “Old Church,” where Mass is still held at funerals.
  • Honvéd Monument (Monument to the Battle of Isaszeg on the Spring Campaign on Szobor Hill; by sculptor Béla Radnai ).
  • Honvéd tombs
  • Arboretum of non-native trees in Hungary halfway to Gödöllő (pine experimental site of the former Gödöllő Crown Heritage)
  • Village Museum – local history collection
  • “Peat” fishing lakes on the Rákos stream
  • The Csörsz ditch passes north of the settlement .
  • Stone cross
  • Ave Maria Chapel, with the names of the Isaszeg soldiers who took part in the war of independence .
  • The Crossroads from the cemetery to Calvary .
  • A Jewish cemetery at the foot of Mount Sculpture, which has not been used since World War II . The old name of the Statue Hill (Jewish Hill) referred to this.
  • The St. Martin’s initial Roman Catholic Church Calvary

History 

First mentioned in a document in 1274 in Ilsuazg been called. Some historians explain its name with the word combination of the Old Slavic irsa / irswa (alder tree) and the Hungarian corner, corner (protected place), others say that it is based on the Hungarian genus name. Archaeological finds prove that the area around the settlement was already inhabited in the Bronze Age. The Old Church was built in the 12th century and is now a listed building. The owner of the settlement was Sándor Sibeni and Dobokai, then the Domoszló family. King Matthias was one of his favorite hunting grounds. In 1529 it came into the possession of the Báthori family. Due to the plague of 1536 and the looting of the Turks, the population was greatly depleted, in 1690German settlers arrived in. 1723 from Antal Grassalkovich became the property of the municipality, who first Poles and Slovaks also be installed, but settled in other Slavic families (eg. The Serbs ), but among the settlers in Hungary there are families. By the end of the 19th century, the Slavs (lakes) used a kind of archaic Slovak language together.

Sándor Petőfi also visited here several times between 1845 and 1848 . 

In 1849 . The day of the victorious battle of Isaszeg on April 6 was declared a local holiday. The Honvéd Monument preserves its place.

To the south of the settlement we find the military tombs on Katonapallag, which preserve the memory of the battle between the Hungarian and Austrian armies led by Artúr Görgei . Mór Jókai personally questioned the village when he collected material for his novel The Sons of the Stone-Heart Man .

Emília Csernovics , the widow of János Damjanich, also visited Isaszeg several times, during her stay she went to the Honvéd statue to pray. Ferenc József I also often came here to hunt when he was in Gödöllő .

The village museum was opened in 1967 , where the local history exhibition was permanently located.

2008 . With effect from 1 July , President László Sólyom granted the settlement the title of city.

Contact

Isaszeg
email
Hivatal@isaszeg.hu
address
2117 Isaszeg, Rákóczi u. 45.
phone
+3628583100