Jánoshalma

Hungary

Jánoshalma is a town in Bács-Kiskun county in southern Hungary.

The history of the Holy Trinity statue dates back to the end of the 17th century, the first monuments were made in honor of the victims of the plague. The statue of the Holy Trinity in Jánoshalom is located in the central part of the city, on Béke Square. Until the end of the 1940s, Jánoshalma was the marketplace in this area, which was built in the II. they were landscaped after World War II, so the statue of the Holy Trinity also lost its central function. The Archdiocesan Archives of Kalocsa contains the letter sent by the parish priest Tibor Bornemisza to the archbishop of Kalocsa on October 6, 1876, regarding the erection of the statue. According to the document, the parish priest asked for guidance on the artist’s identity, and the archdiocese recommended Mihály Bartalits, but several sources do not confirm that this sculpture was indeed his work. Two red granite slabs on the pedestal indicate the making, and the date of the renovations and the names of the donors. The sculpture was made in 1877 by three residents of Jánoshalom, Imre Édes, János Kecskés and József Kovács. In 1934, widow. Édes Jánosné Almási Rozália, and in 2002 dr. It was restored by Enikő Dénes and her husband János Gidai. The renovation was made by the stonemason and artificial stone maker István Bozóki from Kiskunfélegyháza. The sculpture is made of sandstone, approx. 5-5.5 m high, it consists of three units: the lower part is the pedestal, on which a column and four standing figures of the saints can be seen (Virgin Mary, St. Joseph, St. John and St. Imre). The monument is crowned by the depiction of the Trinity. It was restored by Enikő Dénes and her husband János Gidai. The renovation was made by the stonemason and artificial stone maker István Bozóki from Kiskunfélegyháza. The sculpture is made of sandstone, approx. 5-5.5 m high, it consists of three units: the lower part is the pedestal, on which a column and four standing figures of the saints can be seen (Virgin Mary, St. Joseph, St. John and St. Imre). The monument is crowned by the depiction of the Trinity. It was restored by Enikő Dénes and her husband János Gidai. The renovation was made by the stonemason and artificial stone maker István Bozóki from Kiskunfélegyháza. The sculpture is made of sandstone, approx. 5-5.5 m high, it consists of three units: the lower part is the pedestal, on which a column and four standing figures of the saints can be seen (Virgin Mary, St. Joseph, St. John and St. Imre). The monument is crowned by the depiction of the Trinity.

The statue of the Virgin Mary is located frontally. She is wearing a long underwear and a cloak over her. Her richly pleated dress completely covers her body. She wears a scarf on her head, her hair only standing out from under her in a thin band. His hands, keyed to prayer, express walking while believing.

The statue of St. Joseph can be seen on the left of Mary. Like the Holy Virgin, she wears a cloak, spread over her shoulders, held together by her left arm. Only his right foot emerges from under his dress. He holds a lily in his hand, which refers to his clean life. Her hair and beard are tidy, her face showing calm.

The figure of St. John the Baptist appears in a camel hair dress that is carried over his left shoulder, leaving most of his right shoulder and upper body free. He bends his right arm slightly and holds his attribute, the shell, which is a symbol of the baptism of Jesus.

The statue of St. Imre is the fourth. Unlike the other three saints, she wears a Hungarian dress: a hermelin mantle at the top, which is made even more ornate by the fur border running along her side. Under the mantle, the mint was decorated with trimmings. Next to his right leg is a crown on the ground, a sword is attached to his side, and he holds a book in his hand, based on the cross on his back, the Bible.

At the top of the statue, at the top of the column, is a representation of the Holy Trinity. Above the waves, the Father and the Son sit on a sphere symbolizing the Earth, expressing that God rules over the universe. The Holy Spirit hovers in the form of a dove between the two figures. The upper body of Christ, unlike that of the Father, is uncovered, thus making visible the wound on his side. In the same way, these symbols of his crucifixion appear on his outstretched right palm as well as his left hand holding a cross. The triangular motif determines the composition of the main representation: the shape of the triangle behind the Father’s head returns in the form of a beam of light surrounding the dove, and the unity of the three divine persons forms a large triangle.

Contact

The city of Jánoshalma
email
pailhiv@janoshalma.hu
address
H-6440, Jánoshalma, Béke tér 1., Hungary
phone
+36 77 501 001