Jēkabpils has always been the crossroads of Zemgale, Latgale, Vidzeme as well as Sēlija regions. Only the river Daugava has remained unchanged since the old times – the River of Fate of our ancestors, waving 93 km through the city and district.
The oldest record mentioning Krustpils is dated 1237 when Riga’s bishop Nicholas de Magdeburg built a Kreutzburg castle. In 1585 Stefan Batory, the king of Poland, granted Krustpils to Nicholas Korf. The only successor of the castle owners Jutta von Korf from Germany regularly maintains contacts with the present owners of the castle and visits the Krustpils castle.
The existing borders of the city were established in 1962 when the neighbouring city Krustpils merged with Jēkabpils.
The city is famous for the Krustpils castle – Jēkabpils History museum also including a Soviet Army room, cellars of the medieval castle, exhibitions in the tower, outdoor section of Jēkabpils History museum “Selian farm“ – a Selian 19th century farm where the tourists have a possibility to participate in the old days’ household and craftsmen’s works. Wood park at Radži basin with a place for swimming, volleyball fields and a jogging path, churches of 7 denominations, including churches
Jēkabpils is a city with 123 protected history, culture, art and city building artefacts.
Jēkabpils is a city in development. Businesses expand, educational establishments, culture and sports facilities are improved, recreation facilities established, streets, squares and plazas reconstructed. Supermarket chains and bank experts have recognized Jēkabpils as convenient business environment.
Jēkabpils is a city where people, their needs and interests are a priority.
Jēkabpils is a city of good changes.
Historical sites and museums
Struve Geodetic Arc Point “Jēkabpils”, included in UNESCO World Heritage List
The former Wednesday market square
On this spot on 12th February 1670, Duke Jacob declared the foundation of the city. Busy trading took place here on Wednesdays, it was the oldest market of the town and the former historic centre. There is also a memorial stone.
“Little violinist” a sculpture in memory of J.Vitols (J. Vītols)
The house where the organist Peteris Sīpolnieks lived
Memorial to the victims of World War One and military cemetery
The Orthodox Church of The Holy Spirit and men’s monastery
Old Town Square
Jēkabpils Forest parks
Active leisure and sports
A blue Flag beach
“Akvair” diving centre in Jēkabpils