Karcag

Hungary

Karcag is a town in the county of Jász-Nagykun-Szolnok , the center of the Karcag district , the most populated settlement in the geographical, historical and ethnographic micro-region of Nagykunság .

Sights

City center: 1. The main square of Karcag, the area around the Town Hall and the Church Garden were started to be landscaped in 1882, and the grove, also called the promenade, soon became extremely popular. At the same time as the construction of the city’s sidewalk network (1906), it was surrounded by a fence. It gained its current layout during the landscaping after the construction of the Town Hall, the old ideas were only changed by the erection of monuments to the victims of the two world wars (1938, 1992), the park fence was demolished in the late 1960s. The market was moved in the mid-1970s, the cobblestone pavement was picked up and the installation of a green surface began in its place. A pedestrian street has been created on the east side of the square. The decoration of the ceramic cover evokes motifs of filter embroidery. The current image of the main square park was created by horticultural engineer Tibor Pádár in the early 2000s.

In and around Kossuth Square we can find the Great Reformed Church (1793-1797), the Nagykun Reformed Grammar School (1893-95, 1907-08), the Nagykun Reformed Primary School (formerly Boys ‘School, 1813-1818), the former Central Girls’ School built opposite it. (1894-95), the Town Hall (1910-1912), the Industrial Association (1903) and the Nimród Biohotel handed over in 2008. On the eastern side of the square opens Kertész József utca, the former Synagogue alley, or Zsidó utca, where the buildings of the faith community once stood. Today, only the beautifully restored monumental synagogue (1899) remains. The market and the Market Hall have been built in its neighborhood since the 1970s.

On the western side of the square, on Ferenc Horváth Street, once inhabited by Greek merchants, we find the Greek Orthodox Church of St. George (wd) (1797-1798), next to the bus station. On Varró Street, the Congregational Parish of the Reformed Parish (2008-2007), the College of the Reformed Grammar School and the buildings of the István Varró Vocational High School, Vocational High School and College.

The Dózsa György út former Souto, ie urban section of the road was once -debreceni Szolnok. At the mouth of the main square, on the left, we can see some buildings of cityscape significance that have survived from the end of the 19th century and the beginning of the 20th century. The former Lord’s Casino (1894) stands on the corner of Táncsics Boulevard . In contrast, the two -storey building of the Déryné Cultural Center rises on the right side of the road . If we leave the Cultural Center, we will first build the building of the Catholic Bachelors ‘Association (1948-1974 MADISZ, then KISZ headquarters, 1974-2014 City Library, now the Karcag Vocational Training Center and the Farmers’ Information Office) and then the Kunhalom hill. (1851-1853) Calvarywe achieve. At the end of the road, on Vágóhíd Street, you can already see the only intact windmill in Karcag , which has been an industrial monument since the late 1970s.

Next to the Reformed Great Church, on Kálvin Street , we reach the building of the Györffy István Nagykun Museum , opposite the park of which, on the right side of the street, stands the primary school named after the American Hero of Freedom Mihály (1724-1779). The Györffy István Catholic Primary School (1984) and the City Sports Hall stand on the corner of József Attila Street and Kálvin Street behind the Museum. Continuing on József Attila Street, you will find the new headquarters of the City Police Headquarters (2015-2019), with its facade overlooking Széchenyi Avenue, turning left to reach the Post Office building and the St. Stephen’s Roman Catholic Church and parish built in 1899-1901 (1942 ). József Attila utca – leaving the Széchenyi avenue intersection – theMorgó csárda reaches its classicist building built in 1810, where it continues as Baross utca. At the mouth of Vasút Street, turn left to reach the former Rice Husking Mill (1953), behind which is the Railway Station . Füzesgyarmati út opens on the other side of the corner of Barút utca Vasút utca, which crosses the railway line and reaches the main road No. 4 and continues towards the village of Bucsa in Békés county. In addition to the railway crossing, there are industrial facilities, turning left we can deviate from the area of ​​the Karcag Industrial Park and the plants of Elektronikai Hullaszhashasító Kft. , Recy-Pet Hungária Kft .

Madarasi út. Moving from the main square in the direction of Kunmadaras, on the outskirts of the city we find the now largely built (late) Fairgrounds. The two-figure equestrian statue (King Béla IV and leader Kuthen kun ), in the park of the Millennium Monument (2001) , erected a memorial stone to the Martyrs of Arad and the soldiers and national guards of the city who fell in 1848-49 , and to the Redemption (May 6, 1745) . they can see the bell . The building with classicist features next to the statues (behind the fence) was once the site of the Cédulaház (1837), the fair administration. Today it is the Akácliget bath with medicinal waterapartment attached to your campsite. The entrance to the spa is located on Fürdő Street, and from there we reach the stop of the Karcagtiszafüred railway line. The nine-storey Gábor Kátai Hospital (built 1964-1968) rises on the right side of Madarasi út. Turning right off the road, we reach the entrance of the institution on the edge of the city, on Kórház Street. Damjanich street can be reached nearby at the North Cemetery, which is the entrance to the several-hundred-year-old earth house (aka cemetery keeper house to view). Continuing on Madarasi út, we reach the village of Berekfürdő, famous for its spa.

Kisújszállás road. The fastest way to reach Kálvin utca from the south is the Sándor Kántor Pottery House on Erkel Ferenc utca and the Nagykunsági Country House on the corner of Jókai utca – Petőfi utca , but from here the Deák boulevard opens, on which we reach the Kováts Mihály Memorial. Kisújszállási út is crossed by the Karcag-Tiszafüred railway line. In front of the grain silo (the tallest building in the city) rising at the railway crossing stands the late Hungária mill, the later Örlőmalom . In addition to the gateway (left) in the southern cemetery is located behind the cemetery begins with the formed around 1905, and based on today ‘Low Key Friends “, now called Little Earth Garden City district, where Szentannai Samuel Secondary School, the Kiskulcsosi Primary School and several industrial plants are located. Leaving the factories, the 6 Research Institute of Agricultural Research Institutes and Economics of the University of Debrecen , founded in 1947 , follows . 

Püspökladányi út from the city center – leaving the railway crossing – no. takes commuters to the main road. Opposite its estuary is an industrial park facility made of a former barracks building (1931-35).

Nature reserves 

As a result of the river regulation, flood relief and inland drainage works carried out in the second half of the 19th century, the image of the Karcag border was completely transformed. The swamps and reeds covering a significant part of the border have dried up, the areas periodically covered with water have disappeared, but the cultural landscape that occupies their place has preserved the image and wildlife of the last decades of the old aquatic world in some places.

Zádor bridge and its surroundings Nature reserve

Until the middle of the 19th century, the north-northeast area of ​​the city border was the floodplain of the larger veins erupting from the Tisza and the Hortobágy River. This is well illustrated by the fact that the line of the Szolnok-Debrecen highway, the Sóút, was crossed by five larger veins from the edge of the city to the crossing of the Hortobágy river branches. In 1806-1809, a 40-brick brick bridge was built on nine arches on the wide riverbed of the largest watercourse, the Zádor River. The magnitude of the floods in the area is characterized by the fact that the spring price of 1830 destroyed the two outer arches of the bridge. The severely damaged superstructure was left in five vaults during the restoration in 1835, with a truncated wooden walkway, the so-called Replaced by a “foot bridge”. After the regulation of the Tisza and then the Hortobágy, the area became a pasture dotted with arable land here and there. The Zádor Bridge, which lost its function in the 1970s, became a transport historical monument, with arable land on the eastern side and saline pasture on the northern side, in the wide shallow riverbed and floodplain of the river. The Hortobágy National Park was established in 1973, and in 1976 the area around the bridge and the pasture to the north were declared a nature reserve. The protection ensured both the preservation of the bridge and the continued survival of the traditional pastoralism on the pasture.

Kecskeri-puszta Nature Reserve

The south-southwestern border of Karcag was partially freed from floods by the 18th century waterworks (construction of the Mirhó dam), then the Hortobágy-Berettyó canal (1890s), and the construction of the inland drainage canals (1890s) by the Karajános dried up the remains of the swamp, the grasslands thus freed up were largely utilized by grazing and mowing. In the 1950s, the water of the Tisza returned to the wilderness again, because according to newer economic ideas, rice fields were established here. Then – in 1954, Tsz. In the vicinity of the 155-hectare reservoir, the cooperative has also established several fishponds. An area with a “landscape appearance” similar to Hortobágy was declared a protected area in 1993.

Kunhalmok

The artificial mounds typical of the lowland areas of Hungary preserve the memory of different historical eras and peoples. I usually land, that is, long-inhabited settlement traces or tombstones, which were also used by later-age communities: a church was built on it and a cemetery was established on it. The mounds were thus “ready” by the Cumans, who moved in as early as the 13th century. The name kunhalom itself was born in the age of language renewal. In addition to their archaeological value, the kunhalmas are of great landscape importance, and as many of them fell out of field cultivation until the second half of the 20th century, they still preserve the area’s old vegetation and characteristic plants that have disappeared elsewhere. From the middle of the 20th century, their surface was in great danger due to the cultivation of their surface, the removal and use of land. The decades-long intention to save them was successful in 1996, because Act LIII of 1996 on the Protection of Nature. law has already protected the kunhalmas.

Sculptures, monuments

Kossuth Square: the monument to the heroic dead of World War I (Gyula Gáldi, 1938), the Monument to the Heroes of World War II (Sándor Györfi, 1992), Gyula Németh (1890-1976) Turkologist (Sándor Györfi, 1990), Lajos Kossuth (János Horvay, 1906), Sándor Petőfi (Dezső Győr, 1948), “Angyalos Fountain” (Sándor Györfy , 2001), National Flag Monument (Sándor Györfi, 1996)

Museum Park: István Györffy (1884-1939) ethnographer (Sándor Györfi 1984), István Mándoky Kongur (1944-1992) turcologist (Sándor Györfi, 1993)

Catholic church garden: Dr. Pál Orosz (1907 – 1953) parish priest

Nagykun Reformed Primary School: Calvin – relief (Sándor Györfi, 2006)

Mihály Kováts Primary School (Kálvin u.): Relief of Hussar Colonel Mihály Kováts (1724-1779) (Lajos Györfi, 1995)

Hegyesbori mound: Kun memorial site (Sándor Györfi, 1995)

Fairground: Nagykun Millennium Monument (Sándor Györfi, 2001),

Gábor Kátai Hospital: Dr. Gábor Kátai (1831-1878) doctor, pharmacist (Sándor Györfi, 1990)

Deák Boulevard: Mihály Kováts Memorial Gate (Sándor Györfi, 1995)

Bust of Sámuel Szentannay High School: Kunság Venus (Sándor Györfi, 1989) and Sámuel Szentannay High School (Sándor Györfi, 1992

Contact

Karcag
email
phkarcag@ph.karcag.hu
address
5300 Karcag, Kossuth tér 1.
phone
59 / 500-610