Komló

Hungary

Komló is a town in Baranya county, Hungary. The name of the settlement is derived from the local crop of hops (komló), an ingredient of beer. By the 18th century a depiction of this plant running up a support already featured on the herald of the town.

The former village of Komló became a planned mining city during the socialist era. It was the second biggest mining centre in Hungary after Tatabánya.

History

The area was inhabited by the Romans, the ruins of 2nd-century Roman villas were discovered during the laying of foundations for new buildings in the area (Mecsekjánosi, Körtvélyes). The existence of the once village is first mentioned in a charter from 1256 as ‘villa Compleov’, then part of the estates of the Pécsvárad Abbey.

Komló was not deserted during the Turkish rule, however the population was very scant. After 1945, Komló was among those settlements whose expansion into a city was a somewhat forced affair directed by political decisions. A determining factor of its development was the role in coal mining. After more than 100 years of operation mining in the area ceased on 1 January 2000.

Sightseeing

The ruin of Gothic medieval chapel is situated (dates from 13-14th) behind the church of Komló. A graveyard surrounded the chapel at one time. The Museum of the Local History is settled in the centre of the town (there is an exhibition where one can see the footprints of the Komlosaurus carbonis). Sikonda is a spa resort that belongs to Komló. Its thermal baths was developed around the slightly radioactive and carbonic acid waters discovered in 1928. In 1995 an earlier ruling was confirmed, recognising the therapeutic effects of the thermal waters.

Contact

Komló
email
wallarmester@komlo.hu
address
7300 Komló, Városház tér 3.
phone
+36 72 584 000