La Louvière is a Wallooncity and municipality located in the Belgian province of Hainaut. La Louvière’s municipality includes the old communes of Haine-Saint-Paul, Haine-Saint-Pierre, Saint-Vaast, Trivières, Boussoit, Houdeng-Aimeries, Houdeng-Gœgnies, Maurage, and Strépy-Bracquegnies. La Louvière is the capital of the Centre region, a former coal mining area in the sillon industriel, between the Borinage to the West and the Pays Noir to the East.
|• Mayor||Jacques Gobert (PS)|
|• Governing party/ies||PS, MR, UDSC|
|• Total||64.24 km2 (24.80 sq mi)|
|• Density||1,300/km2 (3,300/sq mi)|
- The Monastery rue Gustave Boël in La Louvière
- La Chapelle de la Grande Louvière, in La Louvière
- The Notre-Dame-aux-Bois Chapel, in Houdeng-Aimeries
- The Notre-Dame-aux-Puits Chapel, in Trivières
- St-Joseph Church, Place Maugrétout in La Louvière
- La Chapelle St-Julien, in Boussoit
- The church of St-Jean-Baptiste, in Maurage
- The St-Martin church, in Strépy-Bracquegnies
- St-Joseph church, in Strépy-Bracquegnies
- The Romanesque church of Saint-Vaast
- The Château de la Closière
- Chateau Boël
- Gilson Castle
- Strépy-Thieu elevator
- Canal du Center boat lifts. The Canal du Center boat lifts are four hydraulic boat lifts built in Belgium between 1888 and 1917 . They make it possible to compensate together for a drop of 66 meters.
- Bois-du-Luc. Bois-du-Luc is one of the oldest coal mines in Belgium, located in Houdeng-Aimeries , current municipality of La Louvière, and whose activity ceased in 1973 . The workers’ city was built between 1838 and 1853 .
- Old bottle ovens from the Boch pottery factory .
- The Engraving and Printed Image Center
- Regional ecomuseum of the center
- Ianchelevici Museum
- The Daily-Bul & Co Center (Archives of the Daily-Bul surrealist movement )
- The Keramis Center (Museum and place of art and creation dedicated to earthenware and ceramics)
Started in 1982 and inaugurated in 2002 , it allows you to cross a vertical drop of 73.15 meters. It was until 2016 the largest boat lift in the world. It now replaces six structures, the four boat lifts on the Canal du Center and two locks . It marks the end of a 1350 tonne gauge program for Belgian inland waterways and allows vessels of this gauge to pass between the Meuse basin and that of the Scheldt .
- The wolf
- The call
- The peace
- Sky Sensors
- The white wolf
- The tree
- Strépy ponds nature reserve
- Louvexpo. To host exhibitions, the city of La Louvière has Louvexpo , a space inaugurated in 2012 on the site of the former Exhibition Hall .
- Le Laetare – Carnival of La Louvière
- Reach the moon – Urban Opera (Triennial event)
- Power Festival – Music Festival
- Festival 5 sur 5 – Documentary Film Festival
- Wallonia festivals
- The Fall Meetings of the Action Theater – Enragez-vous
- ARTour Biennale – (Biennial event)
The city of La Louvière has a large number of schools ranging from kindergarten to higher education. Communal education is managed there by the Department of Training Education (DEF) whose offices are located in the Administrative City of the Place Communale.