Lapithos

Cyprus

Kelafolovryso

The seven-spring fountain-head of artesian water sprang from the bowels of the earth, was situated at the foothills of Kyparissovounos, the highest peak of Pentadhaktylos mountain range.
Legend has it that the kefalovrysa (headsprings) of Lapithos, Karavas and Kythrea spring from the same place.

It has never been ascertained when exactly this headspring made its first appearance at Lapithos. However, historians of the ancient period cite that the green beauty of the place is due to the spring which stands at the foot of the mountain.

The kefalovryso of Lapithos gave birth to many legends in people’s imagination. Still, the plain truth is evident in the remarkable green-clad orchards that it watered, the eighteen flour-mills that, it empowered and in the historical references that hydrophilous sugar-cane cotton and rice thrived in ancient Lapithos. The kefalovryso supplied this water in abundance.
In modern times the headspring watered the plains where kolokasi (kolokasia-taro), konari (small onion) and pistachio and lemon trees were cultivated.

The water of kefalovryso was the private property of Lapithos inhabitants; passed down to them from generation to generation on a title. They used it proportionately, or rented, or sold it.

One twentieth of kefalovryso water was passed on to the Municipality in order to be used for domestic purposes in 1950-51. From then on every household had its own water supply and the rest was used for irrigation purposes.

This legendary spring never dried up, no matter how many years of drought passed. It had always been an inexhaustible spring regardless of the amount of water flowing from it. It watered and made exquisite Lapithos green.

Since the Turkish Attila invasion and occupation of 1974 the water of the kefalovryso can not be heard flowing through the canals. The Turks do not say much. Rather, they do not say anything. Some talk of an attempt to channel it to the plain with pipelines, out of the way of the Upper Parishes of Ayia Anastasia and Ayia Paraskevi. Some others talk of drilling in the mountain and therefore it dried. Maybe … temporarily because it refuses to water and refresh the aliens and the conquerors. The kefalovryso waits like the rest of our land the moment of freedom when the rightful inhabitants will return as liberators of the land and then … the liberated crystal clear kefalovryso will flow and sing in Lapithos once more.

HISTORY OF LAPITHOS MUNICIPALITY


When the British bought Cyprus from the Ottoman Turks in 1878 and set about re-organizing the administrative structure of the island, Lapithos became one of the ten new ‘municipalities’. Both the Mayor and the Municipal Council were democratically elected by the people of Lapithos. As a result competent personalities were elected into office, who strived for the progress and well-being of the small town.

LAPITHOS MUNICIPALITY

The Municipality of Lapithos had a diverse variety of services. It functioned smoothly as a small town and the administrative and technical staff of the municipality did their best to materialize projects the Lapithiotes took pride in. Some of them were the following:

  1. Expansion and maintenance of the road network. In 1974 this project was almost complete.
  2. Community water-supply with fountains in all main streets. In the 1960s water-supply was extended to every household. The water came from Kefalovryso (Headspring).
  3. Street-lighting.
  4. Market on the ground floor of the Town Hall.
  5. Abattoir
  6. Tax Collection Service
  7. Library
  8. Garbage Disposal and Hygiene Service
  9. Municipal Garden (Situated within the Town Hall grounds, with a great variety of plants, flowers, birds and animals, including peacocks and the endemic agrino – moufflon – of Cyprus)
  10. Home Mail Delivery and Street-naming Service
  11. Municipal Committee for the Organization of Cultural and National Events 
  12. Building Licence Department

The Town Hall was constructed in 1923 at the heart of Lapithos under the imposing rock where the First Primary School for Boys was built. Following the freedom struggle of 1955-59 the square in front of the Town Hall was named Heroes’ Square. Marble plaques were symmetrically placed on the rock. The names of those who had given their lives to the cause for the defeat of British Colonialism were inscribed on these plagues. In addition to this, there was also marble plaque in memory for all heroes of Greek Revolution of 1821. The Heroes’ Square became the venue for all communal events organized in common by the Municipality, the Schools and the athletic club of the town.

The coat of arms of the Municipality was the Horned Athena. This image was on an ancient Greek coin found in the grounds of Lapithos, this ancient town called Imeroessa – charming, exquisite, and desirable.

Yiorghos Kazelis happened to be the Mayor when the invading Turks took control of our town while the other members of the Municipal Council were:

  1. Andreas Eleftheriou
  2. Kostas Filippides
  3. Christos Christofides
  4. Evangelos Evangelides

Contact

email
demos@lapithos.org.cy
address
Προσωρινή διεύθυνση: Προδρόμου 36, 2063 Λευκωσία Prodromou 36, 2063 Nicosia Cyprus
phone
+357 22427733
Fax. +357 22427731