The town is located in the north-eastern corner of the Danubian Lowland (Podunajská nížina), 110 kilometres (68 miles) east of Bratislava, 40 kilometres (25 miles) south-east of Nitra, 32 kilometres (20 miles) south-west of Banská Štiavnica, 55 kilometres (34 miles) south-west of Zvolen and 25 kilometres (16 miles) from the border with Hungary.
It is the capital of the Levice District, which is the largest district in Slovakia at 1,551 square kilometres (599 square miles). The town’s heraldic animal is lion (in Slovak lev), and the town’s colours are green and yellow.
- The Castle, built in a Gothic style as a trade-route guarding fort at the end of 13th century.
- Dobo Château, built by István Dobó, a hero of the siege of Eger, in the 1560s.
Places of worship
- St Joseph’s Church, Roman Catholic, accompanied by a baroque Franciscan convent. It is found close to the entrance to the château, and dates from the turn of the 18th century.
- St Michael’s Church – Roman Catholic, found in St Michael’s street (Sv. Michala). It is from the 2nd half of the 18th century
- Church of the Holy Spirit – Roman Catholic, in the Rybniky quarter. It is from the start of the 21st century
- Chapel of St Urban – Roman Catholic, F. Hecku street, 1770s
- Evanjelický a. v. kostol – Lutheran, Cs. armady street, 1840s to 1930s
- Zborový dom (Congregational House) – Lutheran, next to the latter
- Kostol Reformovanej cirkvi – Calvinist, Sv. Michala street, end of 18th century
- Zborový dom (Congregational House) – Brethren Church, S. Chalupku street, 1983–85
- Synagogue – Jewish, K. Kittenberger street, half of 19th century
- Schoeller’s Mill – built at the end of the 19th century, production was cancelled in 1998, rebuilt into a complex of luxury shops, offices, dwellings and entertainment facilities.
- Main square – a good collection of Art-Nouveau and eclectic buildings.
- Town hall – erected in 1902, second floor built-up while lifting the roof by a screw mechanism in 1927.
- Teachers Academy – secondary school, E point of the Kalvaria hill, N of the main square, built in 1911 as a mix of the late Art-Nouveau and Italian trecento-influenced historism.
- District Court Building – corner of Mlynska and Zahradna streets, projected by Milan Michal Harminc
- Fried’s House – corner of L. Stura and Sv. Michala streets
- Strasser’s House – Sturova street, next to the Fried’s House
- Fertsek Brothers House – corner of Soltesova square and Ceskoslovenskej armady street
- Munk’s House – corner of Mlynska and Zahradna streets
- Reitmann’s House – Mlynska street, a passage to I. Krasku street
- Eisler’s House – corner of Mlynska and L. Stura streets
- Police District Headquarters Building – former Seat of District Authority, crossing of Kalvinske square and Sv. Michala street
- Health Insurance Company Building – M. R. Stefanik street, later Infant Hospital