Montbéliard traditional German: Mömpelgard) is a city in the Doubsdepartment in the Bourgogne-Franche-Comtéregion in eastern France, about 13 km (8 mi) from the border with Switzerland. It is one of the two subprefectures of the department.
- The Château de Montbéliard, the castle of the Dukes of Württemberg.
As the residence of the Counts of Montbéliard, the history of the castle is closely linked with the story of the families that reigned over the county for more than eight centuries. Built on a rocky promontory at the confluence of the Lizaine and Allan valleys, this stronghold, which already existed in the 10th century, was constantly transformed during the course of the centuries. Today, on the northern side of the edifice, one can admire the Henriette Tower (reconstructed by Countess Henriette in approximately 1424), the Frédéric Tower (1572 and 1595) and the main building dating back to the 18th century. The castle has become the Museum of the Castle of the Dukes of Württemberg, which includes a historical tour, an important archaeological department whose collections come mainly from excavations of local Gallo-Roman sites, the Cuvier natural history gallery and exhibits of paintings and sculptures of international renown. On the esplanade of the Castle, the Clock pavilion or Hôtel du Bailli (Bailli’s quarters, also known as the gentlemen’s quarters), built according to plans of the architect Schickhardt at the beginning of the 17th century, houses today the Academy of Music.
- The Museum of Art and History Beurnier Rossel.
The Beurnier-Rossel mansion, located opposite St. Martin’s church, near the Town Hall, stands as a witness to the life-style of the urban bourgeoisie during the 18h and 19th centuries. Today it houses the Museum of Art and History. The restored 18th century reception rooms on the first floor contain furniture, paintings, chandeliers and draperies which recreate the ambiance of a private residence. On the second floor, there is an exhibit of objects relating to the history of the town and local life (bibles, liturgical vessels, traditional headdresses etc.) and the collection of music boxes made by L’Épée is exhibited in the attic.
- Saint-Martin Protestant Church.
Saint Martin Protestant Church was built between 1601 and 1607 and is the work of Heinrich Schickhardt, the architect of Frederic 1st Prince of Montbéliard, in its purest form. It is also the oldest church in France dedicated to the Reformation form of worship.
- Saint Maimboeuf Church.
Built between 1850 and 1875 on the Cardinal Mathieu’s request to assert the Catholic reconquest over Lutheranism, Saint Maimboeuf Church dominates the town. It includes rich façade adornments and a polychrome altarpiece.