Nagykálló is a small town in Szabolcs-Szatmár-Bereg county, in the Northern Great Plain region of eastern Hungary. Before World War II it belonged to Szabolcs county.
- Bell: The area of Bell is a hilly, wooded landscape made even more attractive by a 75-acre artificial lake. The lake offers opportunities for fishing and boating, which means it is an excellent opportunity to spend your free time meaningfully. The Téka camp was established in Harangod, on the territory of which seven wooden buildings were built according to the plans of Dezső Ekler. The best-known such wooden building is the Dance Barn, which has a floor area of about 250 m² and can accommodate up to 300 people at a time. Through local organizations, the Kalari Folk Art Camp was established here, where young and old alike can learn about old folk crafts. The Harangod complex is located close to the city center, so it is easily accessible either on a pleasant walk or on the built-up bike path.
- Delicacy Hill: This 12 meter high sand hill, topped by a lookout tower, offers a wonderful view of the city and in calm conditions you can enjoy the view of the wonderful nature. There is also a small lookout tower at the top of the Gorge Hill. Here (contrary to legend) stood a mansion built of adobe in the 18th century , the trees were the remains of the park, and the lookout hill was part of the former Baroque garden. According to the legend, the Ínségdomb was assembled by the serfs of Kiskálló in exchange for the loan grain provided by Ferenc Kállay in the drought years of 1780. The protected monument is one of the favorite leisure places of the residents. The sports field and restaurant at the foot of the hill provide perfect relaxation for all members of the family.
- City Beach: The beach is located near the city center. With 42 degrees of medicinal water, in a pleasant, landscaped environment, volleyball, foot tennis. It awaits its dear visitors with badminton and football fields. The medicinal water that breaks up here is characterized by the content of sodium chloride, iodine and bromine minerals, thanks to which it is also excellent for the treatment of rheumatic diseases.
- Kallai double : Nagykálló cultural sights of the Kallai double , a genre of dance ballad. The dance tells a story, has a legend, is about a quarreling and then reconciling and happily entertaining couple. It is a popular dance of local folk dance groups.
- Nagykálló’s main square: The city’s main square, the Freedom Garden, was renovated in 2003. The green area now awaits visitors with a beautified environment. Here you will find the Millennium Monument, the Statue of Liberty and the Statue of the Unknown Soviet Soldier. During the renovation, II. The statue of Ferenc Rákóczi and the surroundings of the statue were covered with space. The benches at the foot of the tall trees provide an opportunity for pleasant summer conversations.
- Old Jewish Cemetery : Here is the tomb of Isaac Eubik Taub, who has been called the most beautiful in his life. To this day, one of the popular pilgrimage sites of the Jewish religion is the cemetery.
- Former County Hall: This huge building was built in the Baroque-Classicist style according to the plans of Salvator Giuseppe Aprilis. Between 1779 and 1876 it served as the building of the county hall, then from 1895 it was a madhouse and then a mental hospital. Today, it operates as a County Psychiatric Hospital.
- Churches in the city : Roman Catholic, Greek Catholic, Reformed. Each religious site has a rich historical past. Visitors can get to know the past and interesting features of the buildings with the help of trained guides.
- Local museums : Not far from the Reformed Church, the so-called The local history museum was set up in Szilágyi House, with the memories of the Kállai double, the Kálló castle and shoemaker. The “Tanoda” building houses an exhibition on school history from the grammar school founded in the Middle Ages to the present day. The birthplace of Frigyes Korányi is located next to the two buildings. the Ámos Imre gallery.
- Kálló Castle:The border castle of Nagykálló was built in the second half of the 16th century, between 1570 and 1574. The rectangular, so-called neo-bastion fortress according to the 1665 scale survey plan prepared by the office of military engineer Georg Ssicha ca. It was 100 x 86 meters, with external defenses and moats 140 x 130 meters. The material of the walls and bastions was earth rammed between wooden piles interwoven with commas. In the courtyard of the castle there were partly rebuilt buildings (Árpádian round church, Kállay manor house), partly newly built (after 1570) barracks, gate structures and gunpowder towers, the material of which is mixed: stone, brick and it was adobe. Today, only the inscription stone recently erected on the empty plot at 18 Béke Street reminds us of the fortress that was dismantled and carried away by the end of the 18th century, but archaeological investigation and excavation of the area is expected to begin in the near future. The castle of Nagykálló is the best and most detailed documented of all our medieval and early modern castles, on the one hand, and the most extinct, liquidated building on the other.
- Kállai Double Folk Dance Festival
- Nagykálló Days Series of events
- National Ratkó József Poetry and Prose Story Competition
- TÉKA camp
- Women’s Sunny Week series of events
- Snowy weekend in Harangod
- Acacia Flowering, Nyírség Flavors Festival and Honey Festival
- National Meeting of Lace Mixers
- The poet and writer László Egri completed his high school studies in Nagykálló