Nevers is the prefecture of the Nièvre department in the Bourgogne-Franche-Comté region in central France. It was the principal city of the former province of Nivernais. It is 260 km (160 mi) south-southeast of Paris.
|Canton||Nevers-1, 2, 3 and 4|
|Mayor (2020–2026)||Denis Thuriot|
|Area1||17.33 km2 (6.69 sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+01:00 (CET)|
|Summer (DST)||UTC+02:00 (CEST)|
The city is located at the confluence of the Nièvre and the Loire , a few kilometers from the Allier (tributary of the Loire).It occupies a hilltop site on the right bank of the Loire.
The earthenware of Nevers
The specificity of Nevers earthenware is the famous “Nevers Blue”, a color obtained by a cobalt blue enamel bath. Many earthenware manufacturers also sign their creations by drawing a small “green bow”.
Other aspects of the economy
Traditionally administrative Nevers hardly has the earthenware as old industry leaving it to several small towns in the surrounding area of manufacturing function: Fourchambault , Imphal ( metallurgy ), La Machine ( mine of coal ), Varennes-Vauzelles (building mechanical and railways), Cercy-la-Tour ( automotive supplier ), Prémery (Lambiote). Since the 1960s, it accommodates many small and medium industries of electrical and mechanical construction and chemistry. The city is home to the headquarters of companies that are leaders in their field in France: LOOK (sports equipment manufacturer) and TEXTILOT (ready-to-wear). It now intends to specialize and expand various sectors which constitute its centers of excellence: mainly automotive subcontracting (U-Shin in Nevers, Faurecia in Cercy-la-Tour).
Nevers is the seat of the Chamber of Commerce and Industry of Nièvre . It manages the Nevers-Fourchambault “La Sangsue” airport . Helicopter connections for connecting to Nevers Nevers Magny-Cours circuit for the Grand Prix France of Formula 1 and a line “Nevers – Dijon ” by air had been opened with a weekly flight.
Located 235 km south of Paris , Nevers is linked to the capital by the A77 in about 2 hours.
The Nevers Train Station is on the line Moret – Veneux-les-Sablons Perrache used by the relations Paris – Clermont-Ferrand . Electric traction is operational from Paris-Bercy station to Clermont-Ferrand. The station is also at the origin of a railway line to Dijon , a constantly increasing traffic line ( freight “hub” ) but not yet electrified. Nevers is thus linked by train mainly to Paris (13 daily rotations on average, journey time varying from 1 h 56 for the non-stop trip to 2 h 25), Nantes, Angers, Tours, Bourges, Orléans, Dijon, Clermont-Ferrand and Lyon.
Nevers has a network of Taneo bus lines which serves the twelve municipalities of the agglomeration community of Nevers using thirteen regular lines, and a shuttle serving Nevers city center, as well as various services such as Sunday or school lines. A rental service for classic bicycles or electrically assisted bicycles called “Cycl’agglo” is also available.
Finally, Nevers has an airport called Nevers-Fourchambault or Le Sangsue airport .
The EuroVelo 6 or EV6, also known under the name of “Eurovéloroute des Flroits”, is a EuroVelo- type cycle route which crosses Nevers by connecting Saint-Nazaire to Constanţa. It is the most famous of the European cycle routes , 3,653 km long , it crosses Europe from west to east, from the Atlantic Ocean to the Black Sea , passing through ten countries. It follows the route of three of the largest European rivers : the Loire , the Rhine and the Danube.
With 12 establishments and 33 diploma courses available on the territory of Nevers Agglomeration. The list of higher education bodies and establishments in the city of Nevers is:
- Since 1991 , ISAT, Institut Supérieur de l’Automobile et des Transports , an establishment of the University of Burgundy, has been the only public school specializing in automotive engineers, it delivers diplomas up to bac + 5 to about 120 students per year;
- Magnytude represents the center of activities and technological research and development of ISAT ;
- The ESAAB (Superior School of Applied Arts of Burgundy) delivers one of 7 degrees in France in the field of applied arts and industrial design.
- The INSERR National Institute of Road Safety and Research) is the only body responsible for Road Safety;
- The Digital Campus of Nevers by CCI Nièvre bringing together DIGISUP: Higher School of Digital Marketing (accessible from Bac +2 and graduating up to Bac +5) and cs2i Bourgogne École supérieure d’Informatique, (accessible from BAC and graduating up to bac + 5);
- Nevers also has a branch of the Faculty of Law and Political Science of Dijon, attached to the University of Burgundy .
- At Raoul-Follereau,
- At the Alain-Colas.
Since 2003, Nevers has benefited from the Pierre-Bérégovoy hospital center . Innovative in design, it is indeed one of the first in France to be organized into clinical poles which bring together in one place the entire chain of hospital activity (secretariat, consultations, etc., depending on each service).
The Pierre-Bérégovoy hospital is intended to be the nerve center of public health throughout the Nièvre . It employs more than 1,800 people, making it the number one employer in Nièvre. Built to the west of the city, it is finally an element of rebalancing in this direction of urban expansion and a development tool for the entire agglomeration. The Val de Loire polyclinic completes this hospital.
Local Culture and Heritage
Places and monuments
Nevers is classified as a city of art and history . The city of Nevers, or city of the Dukes , belongs to the federation of Cluniac sites , crossroads of an important religious and monastic current ; the reliquary of Saint Bernadette Soubirous , the seer of the apparitions of Lourdes , is one of the most remarkable testimonies.
- Espace Bernadette-Soubirous-Nevers
- The Cathedral Saint-Cyr-et-Sainte-Julitte Street Cathedral
- Former Abbey of Fontmorigny , rue Fontmorigny;
- Abbey of Saint-Martin de Nevers , abbey of canons regular
- Notre-Dame de Nevers Church , rue Saint-Genest; Abbey of Notre-Dame de Nevers ;
- Church of Notre-Dame-de-Lourdes in Nevers , rue Saint-Bénin;
- Sainte-Bernadette Church ;
- Saint-Étienne Church ;
- Saint-Joseph des Montôts Church , rue du Commandant Pierre Paul Clerc;
- Saint-Lazare Church , Faubourg du Grand Mouësse;
- Saint-Pierre Church ;
- Church of Saint-Sauveur de Nevers , Place Mossé;
- Chapel of Notre-Dame-de-Pitié in Nevers , at L’Hôpital, rue Colbert;
- Chapel of the Oratorians of Nevers , rue de l’Oratoire;
- Chapelle Sainte-Marie ;
- Saint-Sylvain Chapel ;
- Carmel de Nevers , rue Claude Perrin, the convent of the Discalced Carmelitenuns;
- Convent of the Récollets , rue des Récollets;
- Monastery of the Visitation in Nevers , route des Saulaies;
- Sainte-Bernadette Chapel, rue De Lattre;
- Chapel, rue Hanoteau;
- Notre-Dame vocational high school chapel, rue Montapins;
- Reformed temple, rue Vauban;
- Protestant Evangelical Center, rue de la Jonction;
- Evangelical Church, rue Charles Roy;
- Jehovah’s Witness Kingdom Hall, Clos de la Pique;
- ACI rue Marcel Paul;
The Ducal Palace
The Ducal Palace , place of residence of the Dukes of Nevers (Descendance Comte de Guiot) is considered to be one of the first castles of the Loire, with its wide Renaissance facade framed by polygonal turrets and false draperies. The facade is designed to affirm the prestige of the city of dukes for those who discovered it from the Loire . For a long time, it hosted the courthouse. Renovated in the early 1990s, it is partly assigned to municipal services and represents an annex of the town hall: mainly Pierre-Bérégovoy municipal council chamber. It also welcomes visitors (many aquariums presenting fish from the Loire, exhibitions). It opens onto the Place de la République, the summit of the Butte de Nevers and which contains Gallo-Roman ruins.
The François Mitterrand Street
The François Mitterrand Street (formerly Rue du Commerce) from the Porte de Paris to the shore road and the dock of Mantua, including the belfry of Nevers ( n o 62), built at the end of the xiv th century under Philip of Burgundy and instead of Europe (hotel Rémigny the xvii th and xviii th centuries).
The market gardens of La Baratte
The market gardens of La Baratte: located in a wetland on the right bank of the Loire, this centuries-old site, steeped in traditions, evolves in several atmospheres: market gardens and vegetable gardens, long ditches where the Mercury Agrion (species of dragonfly lives) protected), fountains, wash house, longhouses of market gardeners, garden, flora and insects of the St-Fiacre-Loire-Baratte association.
- Porte du Croux ( xiv th century ) and tower Goguin: ancient ramparts.
- Porte de Paris ( xviii th century ): triumphal arch erected to celebrate the victory of Fontenoy in 1745, it bears an epitaph of Voltaire .
- Earthenware Museum and Fine Arts of Nevers : the museum has a large collection of pottery, of enamelled glass called “glass yarns” and Gallery of xvi th to the xx th century.
- Former Nevers fire station.
- Mecca of motorsport , Nevers hosted annually the Grand Prix of France of Formula 1 on the Nevers Magny-Cours , until 2008, but also the golden bowl , competition rider .
- The Pré Fleuri Stadium belongs to the rugby club Union Sportive Olympique Nivernaise .
Nevers brings shows and cultural events of regional importance all year round. It has several friendly places: Café Charbon, Maison des Montots, Nevers municipal library , Jean-Jaurès auditorium, Renaissance municipal theater but also and above all, the Maison de la Culture de Nevers agglomeration:
- Since 1971 , the Maison de la Culture has provided a very diverse cultural offer for all audiences and all year round;
- A scene of contemporary music in Nevers and Nièvre with Café Charbon who is a permanent host venue, creation and resources. Thanks to its volunteers and partners, it contributes to the influence of current music in the region;
- Since 2000, the Nivernais Authors’ Fair has been promoting Nivernais literary production: Gérard Oberlé , Jacques Trefouel , Éditions Findakly, etc.
The Orchestra of Harmony of the City of Nevers, classified in Division d’Honneur, performs mainly at the Maison de la Culture with its 80 musicians. He won many national competitions and participated in international competitions where he ranked brilliantly.
The Nivernais Concerts Symphony Orchestra, made up of 50 to 60 musicians, performs at the Maison de la Culture.
- D’Jazz Nevers , offers a season of concerts all year round in Nevers and in the Nièvre department, as well as the unmissable D’Jazz Nevers Festival which, every autumn since 1987, rivals the great venues of European jazz, one of five in France.
- Les Zaccros , a street festival which each year extends the festivities linked to the Grand Prix de Magny-Cours . All genres are represented: jugglers, burlesque, poetry, new circus, object theater, animated shows;
- ARKO, association for the promotion of contemporary art;
- The Center for Contemporary Music of APREM proposes to make known and practice contemporary music, in particular electro-acoustic music and acousmatic music;
The city’s musical societies also offer a season of classical music (around twenty concerts per year). The Orchester symphonique des Concerts Nivernais (70 musicians) welcomed the great names of living music: Patrice Fontanarosa, Jean François Zygel, Marielle Nordmann, Emmanuel Rossfelder whose last performance thrilled the public who came in large numbers to the Maison de la Culture. . Many choirs enliven musical life, mixed choirs with 4 voices, Gregorian choir, children’s choir, ensemble of women’s voices, etc. Finally, the Conservatoire à Rayonnement Départemental, thanks to the talent of its teachers, contributes to the reputation of artistic quality of the City by an original and recognized musical education but also by concerts and musical performances of chamber music.
Nevers has several sports clubs: Nevers Football, the Parrots de Nevers ( baseball ), the USO Nevers (Handball) the Élan Nevers Nièvre ( table tennis ), and the Union sportive olympique nivernaise ( Rugby à XV ).
The Nivernais Roller Club (RCN) has several sections: hiking, running, children’s rollerblading initiation, recreational rollerblading for all ages on Sunday mornings. A section of recreational junior roller hockey as well as adult recreational roller hockey exists there.
Since hockey is complementary to lacrosse , several players are part of both sections. In fact, lacrosse is the official summer sport in Canada that many hockey players play during the summer season.
The Nivernais aeromodelling organizes every year, an indoor radio-controlled flight meeting, at the Maison des Sports. This meeting brings together ultra light model aircraft enthusiasts (model up to 500 g ).
The caving is present in Nevers with the Research Group and caving explorations Nivernais (GRESN) who search for new cavities (mainly caves) and studied karst plateaus Nivernais.