Nýrsko

Czechia

Nýrsko is a town in the Plzeň Region of the Czech Republic. It lies on the Úhlava River under the Šumava Range some 50 km south-west of the region capital of Plzeň. It has about 5,000 inhabitants.

Nýrsko is also a Municipality with Commissioned Local Authority within the Klatovy Municipality with Extended Competence.

History

The first written mention about Nýrsko dates back to 1327. It was probably a settlement in the 12th century. It was situated on the trade route to Bavaria near the ford across the Úhlava. A customs officer was located here.

The lower part of the town, called Dolní Nýrsko (“Lower Nýrsko”), was a member of the Royal Chamber, and the upper part, Horní Nýrsko (“Upper Nýrsko”), was a market village under the ownership of the Pajrek castle.

In 1558 Horní Nýrsko joined Dolní Nýrsko and both became property of the municipality of Bystřice nad Úhlavou. The town developed and grew quickly at that time and it obtained many rights and privileges from Rudolph II in 1539.

The development continued in the 19th century when the railroad, the factory for the production of optical instruments, and the shop of cut-glass were founded here.

South of the town a 36m high stone dam for a reservoir was built in 1969.

Notable people

Contact

Nýrsko
email
info@mestonyrsko.cz
address
Náměstí 122 340 22 Nýrsko
phone
376 555 611