Otopeni is a town in Ilfov County, Muntenia, Romania, some 15 km (9.3 mi) north of Bucharest along the road to Ploiești. It has 15,850 inhabitants, of which 99.0% are Romanians. One village, Odăile, is administered by the city.
Henri Coandă International Airport is located inside Otopeni. The head office of the airline TAROM is located inside the International Departures Terminal in the airport. In addition the head office of Țiriac Air is in Otopeni.
The oldest discovered human settlements in the region are very old. On the occasion of excavations in 1966 to expand the nearby Henri Coandă International Airport, archaeologist Margaret Constantiniu of the History Museum of Bucharest identified fragments of ancient pottery and other objects that belonged to an important human settlements existing since the first period of the Iron Age. In an overlay was discovered another settlement are dated to the 10th century.
By charter of 14 February 1587, Mihnea Turcitu – voivode of Romanian – gave Holy Trinity Monastery half to the village of Islazul and half to the village of Hodopeni (today Otopeni) mills and gypsies.
On 20 May 1620, Maria, great Baneasa, Holy Trinity monastery was given back (later Radu Voda) half the village Hodopeni with Rumani, given by Master Villa, commanding Ruman listen. Historian Giurăscu Constantin believes that Hodopeni name of the village, comes from an Hodopa or Hodoba.
At the end of the 19th century, Otopeni town was part of Dambovitsa county Ilfov province, consisting of two villages, Otopeni Lower and Otopeni Upper, with 851 inhabitants in total. The commune operated a school with 29 students and two churches (one in each village). The village chambers was then part of town Bucoveni, with 125 inhabitants.