Pierrefitte takes its name from the Latin Petra ficta (stone or frozen ground menhir ), Petra fried or Petra stared , attested from the ix th century (the abbot of Saint-Denis mentioning the vineyards of Petra ficta in his writings in 862 ).
The name of Pierrefitte was officially completed with the mention “sur-Seine” by the administration in 1920 in order to facilitate the work of the post office and to specify the attachment of the town to the department of Seine , while the town did not is not washed by the eponymous river .
Culture and Sights
Places and monuments
The buttresses of Butte-Pinson are to the north-west of the town.
Returning to the city of his childhood, Maurice Utrillo ate there the Café “le Chat sans Queue” (now rue Lénine) or La Guinguette . In 2010, his will, Jean Fabris – who broke with the Utrillo-Valadon museum in Sannois – inaugurated the Utrillo space there, within the cultural center, comprising around fifteen paintings, 15,000 photographs and numerous documents.
The Town Hall in 2005, before its expansion in 2009, which made it accessible to people with disabilities. The town hall, enlarged during the Interwar period and again in 2009, replaced the town hall built in 1849 under the administration of Mr. Lejeune, which was built at the corner of the streets of Paris and Briais .
Place Jean-Jaurès, the City inaugurates in 2016 a statue of Jean Jaurès . The Saint-Gervais-Saint-Protais church , built on the plans of the architect Lequeux, was consecrated on October 21 , 1857. However, the font of the xii th and xiii th centuries from the previous church. The bell was donated by Empress Eugenie .
The church was described as follows in 1879:The church of Saint-Gervais-St.-Protais at the beginning of the xx th century .
The church “is located in the Grand’Rue of the village, and its facade, slightly set back, consists, in the foreground, of a fore-body showing the main nave and, in the background, of the facades of the bas- sides which are lower and openwork, each by a semicircular window .
The front section has, in its middle, a large square tower whose base is pierced with a semi-circular door, decorated with moldings and surmounted by a cross. It is framed by two composite pilasters , supporting an entablature whose architraveis interrupted by a table bearing this inscription: “NON EST HIC ALIUD NISI DOMUS DEI ET PORTA COELI. GEN., XXVIII, XVII ”.
Apart from religious buildings, the city is marked by the new headquarters of the National Archives.
In March 2004 , the President of the Republic Jacques Chirac announced the construction of a new National Archives center in the Tartres zone, thus marking the State’s desire to build a large cultural establishment in the heart of the city, in a territory in the making, at the gates of Paris.
The building, designed by architect Massimiliano Fuksas , with an area of 84,293 m 2, with a storage capacity of 320 linear kilometers, 42 m high and 180 meters long, which is to accommodate 400 people (researchers , teachers, students, genealogists …), is intended for archives after 1790 .
Tourism and quality of life
The city has several green spaces, the main ones being: