Plan of the Fosse del Grano


It is about 682 granary silos internally plastered and with a bell-shaped profile. The entrance is made up of 4 corner bricks in clay or limestone slabs ; the silos is bordered on the outside by long and thin stone slabs.

Description:Wheat underground ensiling system, a technique used since primitive times in all the countries of the Mediterranean basin . The granary pits are clad in brick and plastered, on the outside they have typical stone signs that distinguish the owner. 

The first document relating to the presence of graves in Cerignola dates back to 1225 (Barese Diplomatic Code. Vol. X. Le Pergamene di Barletta. Doc. N. 66), but these are two pits in the medieval village , next to the church of S. Peter. The first sure term post quem for the pits of Piazzale S. Rocco , on the other hand, dates back to 1573.

Numerous documentary testimonies follow one another in the 17th-18th centuries, until approved “The Regulations for the Plan of the pits of Cerignola”. Various proposals have been made for the preservation of the plan was, since 1972 when it was approved the Master Plan of the city In 1994 a site development project involved the expropriation of was not communal property, their restoration, the leveling of the floor and its closure to vehicular traffic with the creation of pedestrian paths.


Plan of the Fosse del Grano
Piano S. Rocco, 71042 Cerignola FG, Italy
+39 0885 410280