Radeče is a small town in the Lower Sava Valley in eastern Slovenia. It is located in the Sava Hills (Slovene: Posavsko hribovje) on the right bank of the Sava River at the confluence with Sopota Creek. It is the seat of the Municipality of Radeče and part of the traditional province of Lower Carniola. The town and the municipality are now included in the Lower Sava Statistical Region; until January 2014 they were part of the Savinja Statistical Region.

Country Slovenia
 • MayorTomaž Režun
 • Total52.0 km  (20.1 sq mi)
Population (July 1, 2018)
 • Total4,202
 • Density81/km  (210/sq mi)
Time zoneUTC+01 (CET)
 • Summer (DST)UTC+02 (CEST)



The parish church in the town is dedicated to Saint Peter and belongs to the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Ljubljana. It was built in 1911 on the site of an earlier church. The Gothic chancel of the former church has been incorporated into the new one as a side chapel at its eastern side. The bell tower stands at the western side of the church.


The Radeče Iron Bridge was built in 1893 and 1894 based on a plan by the Czech architect Jan Vladimír Hráský. It is protected as a cultural monument of local significance.
An old one-arch iron road bridge links the town center of Radeče with an old railway station on the other side of the Sava. It was built in the time of Austria–Hungary and originally linked the crown lands of Carniola and Styria. It was designed by the Czech architect Jan Vladimír Hráský. Its construction started in September 1893 and was completed in August 1894. It was open for traffic in June 1894.

The riveted bridge is 84 metres (276 ft) long and 6 m (20 ft) wide and originally had a bearing strength of 12 tonnes (12 long tons; 13 short tons), but was reinforced after World War II. Its steel construction was made by the Griedl company from Vienna, whereas its supporting foundations were made by the builder Tršek from Šmarjeta. Since 1980, when a staircase was added to it on the left bank, it has been used only by pedestrians and cyclists.

A new concrete road bridge across the Sava in Radeče stands near Hotemež. It is 133 m (436 ft) long and 10.5 m (34 ft) wide. It was constructed by the Ingrad corporation (TOZD Laško branch) and was solemnly opened in December 1980.

Weixelstein Castle

Weixelstein Castle (Novi dvor) as depicted by Valvasor in 1679
Weixelstein Castle or Novi dvor stands east of Radeče at Pot na Brod no. 23. It is a four-winged two-story structure with an arcade courtyard. The building mainly dates from the 16th century, and the courtyard from the 17th century. Some wooden ceilings are preserved in the interior.

The castle park originally had a geometric pattern, but was redesigned in a landscaped style in the 18th century. The castle’s 16th-century owner Johann von Weixelstein sold it to Christoph von Raumschussl in 1595, after which it was owned by the Zetschker family, the Augustinians of Ljubljana, Franz Johann von Amigoni, Anton Gollmayer, the Plusk family, and Ludwig Guttmannsthal-Benvenuti. It was purchased by the Ljubljana-based Daughters of Charity of Saint Vincent de Paul in 1926. The nuns were evicted by German forces during the Second World War. After the war, the property was nationalized and converted into a reform school.


The community’s development is closely connected to the Sava River because it used to be an important traffic route for water transport. The confluence of the Sava and Savinja in nearby Zidani Most gave Radeče a role of the central rafting port. This tradition is preserved by modern Radeče rafters, who nurture memories of the customs of their ancestors at the annual event Rafting Days on the Sava (Dnevi splavarjenja na Savi).

Radeče has been renowned for its paper industry, and has modern foundations for development in its rich cultural heritage and unspoiled nature. After the paper producer entered bankruptcy proceedings in April 2012, a new company was established in June 2012.


Mayor Office

Tomaž Režun
Telefon: 03 56 80 802 (tajništvo župana)
E-pošta: zupan@radece.si

Janez Prešiček
Telefon: 03 56 80 802 (tajništvo župana)
E-pošta: zupan@radece.si


Ulica Milana Majcna 1 1433 Radeče
03 56 80 800