Recaș

Recaș  is a town in Timiș CountyBanatRomania. Six villages are administered by the town: Bazoș, Herneacova, Izvin, Nadăș (depopulated), Petrovaselo and Stanciova.

The city is accessible by air and is located 20 km from Timisoara airport which has direct flights to Rome, Verona, Venice, Treviso, Milan, Bologna, Florence, Bari and Ancona. It is also located on the main road that connects Timisoara with Bucharest.

Historic

The oldest mention of Recaș dates from 1318. Since the Middle Ages it is called as it is today ( Rekas  in 1450). Its name has a Slavic root (“rika” = stream), but there is evidence that the village was Wallachian. Thus, the historian Nicolae Ilieșu shows that in 1359, several Romanian families from Moldavia settled in Recaș, who received land and privileges from King Ludovic the Great, without being forced to give up Orthodoxy. But a little later they receive the same rights and more Bulgarians, so the ethnic composition was more varied.

It was noticed early on as an important center in the region. In 1470 there was a  Rekas oppidum , which included 20 localities. It therefore received city privileges and there was even a customs office here. In 1650, Serbs from the Bacica area settled in Recaș. The locals called them “shocked”, because they were of the Catholic religion and according to some opinions they were Croats.

Following the waves of colonization, three distinct settlements were formed in the middle of the 17th century: the Recaș of the Wallachians (Vlașnița), the Recaș of the Shockers (of the Serbs) and the Recaș of Bulgaria. The Romanians had a less favorable location, close to the Timiș River, in the area of ​​today’s station. Due to the frequent floods, but also to the conflicts with the Serbs, the Romanians were forced to move, many of them settling in the neighboring town of Izvin. Therefore, when the Habsburgs conquer Banat and draw up the first census, the Recala Valah appears as depopulated.

Under the Habsburgs, the Recaș experienced a new stage of development and colonization continued. In 1764, the administrator Koll brought a large number of German settlers, who formed the nucleus of the German Recaș. Until 1786, several waves of Swabian emigrants settled in Recaș in search of a better life. After Banat came under Hungarian administration, a process of Hungarianization and colonization with Hungarians took place. Hungarianization actually began around 1809, and the largest wave of Hungarian settlers settled in Recaș in 1899. At the end of the 19th century and the beginning of the 20th century, Recaș experienced an unprecedented period of development, polarizing social and economic life in the area. price, court, land registry office, perception). In 1894 the brick factory with 100 employees was built, and in 1902 the first German newspaper “Temesrekaser Zeitung” appeared with weekly editions. In the interwar period, Recaș had a primary school, a Catholic confessional school, a casino, a fire brigade association, a German agricultural circle and a sports club.

During the socialist period, Recaș had the status of a commune with 6 villages (Izvin, Bazoș, Petrovaselo, Herneacova, Stanciova and Nadăș).

Following a local referendum and the fulfillment of the necessary administrative conditions, the locality of Recaș acquired in 2004 the status of city.

Contact

Recaș
email
contact@primariarecas.ro
address
Calea Timisoarei, 86, Recas, Timis, 307340
phone
(0356) 177 278