Rogaška Slatina is a town in eastern Slovenia. It is the largest settlement and the seat of the Municipality of Rogaška Slatina. It is known for its curative mineral water, spa, and crystal glass.
The name Rogaška Slatina literally means ‘Rogatec springs’, referring to a source of mineral water. The springs were dubbed Roitschocrene ‘Rogatec springs’ in 1687 by Johann Benedikt Gründel. The settlement was known as Rohitsch-Sauerbrunn or Sauerbrunn Curort in German (and in older sources also Roitscher Sauerbrunn). Older sources also contain the Slovene names Slatina Zdravišče and Slatina Rogačka.
|• Mayor||Branko Kidrič|
|• Total||71.5 km (27.6 sq mi)|
|Population (July 1, 2018)|
|• Density||150/km (400/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+01 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+02 (CEST)|
The Rogaška Slatina area was inhabited in antiquity, and a Roman road led to the settlement. A document from the Archbishopric of Salzburg dating from 1141 mentions a Roman stone next to a spring in the settlement. The 16th-century alchemist Leonhard Thurneysser was the first to describe the spring. The spring was also described by the imperial physician Paul de Sorbait in 1679, by the Carniolan physician Marko Gerbec circa 1700, and by Joseph Karl Kindermann in his 1798 history of Styria (Repertorium der steiermärkischen Geschichte, Geographie, Topographie, Statistik und Naturhistorie). The historian Rudolf Gustav Puff described Rogaška Slatina in a special publication, and 24 lithographs of the town were created by the artist Josip Reiterer in the early 19th century. The chemist Adolf Režek set up a small chemistry laboratory in Rogaška Slatina in 1931 and published various material about the town
Rogaška Slatina is a synonym for health-resort tourism in Slovenia. For centuries the curative mineral water rich in magnesium (branded as Donat Mg), the picturesque countryside, and other local attractions have attracted visitors to the area.
Roman inscriptions referring to the spa waters have been found. A wooden fence was built around the spring in the 17th century, and the water flowed through a wooden trough. The castle lord Peter de Curti built an inn at the site in 1676 and charged people to visit the springs. At that time the water was also bottled in bottles produced by a nearby glass works.
The parish church in the town is dedicated to the Holy Cross and belongs to the Roman Catholic Diocese of Celje. The current structure at the site was built between 1864 and 1866 in a Neo-Romanesque style. The earliest mention of a church at the site is in a manuscript from 1304, although the church predated that time. That building was Romanesque, and it was razed in 1863 to make way for today’s church.
Another church, next to the village of Prnek, is dedicated to the Holy Trinity. It also belongs to the Parish of Rogaška Slatina. It was built in the 17th century and contains a gold-plated altar dating to between 1650 and 1675. The rest of the internal furnishings are from the 18th and 19th centuries.
T: (03) 81 81 714
Brigita BAUER GROBIN, svetovalka II
oddelek za proračun in finance
T: (03) 81-81-729
Simona DOBNIK, podsekretarka
vodja oddelka za gospodarstvo
T: (03) 81-81-716
Petra GAŠPARIĆ, podsekretarka
vodja oddelka za splošne in kadrovske zadeve
T: (03) 81-81-715
Uradne ure oddelkov občinske uprave:
PON: 8.00 – 13.00
SRE: 8.00 – 12.00 in 13.00 – 16.00
PET: 8.00 – 13.00