Šaľa

Šaľa is a town in south-western Slovakia.

History

The town was first mentioned in 1002 in a document of Pannonhalma abbey. It was promoted in 1536 into a market town. It was also ruled by Ottomans between 1663 and 1686 as part of Uyvar Eyalet. The railway, built in 1850 between Vienna and Budapest speeded development. After 1918, the town became part of Czechoslovakia, however belonging for a short time between 1938 and 1945 again to Hungary before being returned to Czechoslovakia.

Demographics

According to the 2011 census, the town had 23.554 inhabitants. 69% of inhabitants were Slovaks, 12% Hungarians, and 19% other nationality. According to the 2001 census, the town had 24,564 inhabitants. 79.72% of inhabitants were Slovaks, 17.88% Hungarians, 0.48% Czechs and 0.40% Roma. The religious make-up was 66.63% Roman Catholics, 23.62% people with no religious affiliation and 4.00% Lutherans.

Economy

The economy of the town is primarily based on the chemical industry, by the company Duslo, a.s. Šaľa, bit east of the town. Other sectors include textile and construction industry.

Contact

Šaľa
email
address
NÁMESTIE SV. TROJICE 7, 92715 ŠAĽA
phone
+421 / 31 770 5981