Szekszárd is a small city in southern Hungary and the capital of Tolna county. By population, Szekszárd is the smallest county capital in Hungary; by area, it is the second-smallest (after Tatabánya).
Points of interest
- Birthplace of Mihály Babits , museum (Babits u.)
- Wosinsky Mór County Museum
- Gingerbread Museum – (Munkácsy u.)
- House of Arts
- Mihály Babits Memorial House
- István Baka memorial room
- Valéria Dienes memorial room
- Exhibitions of the old County Hall:
- Bogár Tanya – private ethnographic collection
- Miklós Mészöly Museum
- Embroidery Museum
- Baka Museum – Military History Exhibition
- Former Turkish Bath
- Pentecost Festival
- Danube Folklore Festival
- Szekszárd Harvest Days
- Adidas Streetball Festival
- Gemenc Grand Prix (The most prestigious and largest cycling race in the country UCI 2.2)
- Count Zichy Running Race
- St. Ladislaus Days – a celebration of stew and wine
- Wine Region Half Marathon Running Competition
- Microphon Trial before 2016
- Luther Square
- St. Stephen’s Square
- Garay Square
- King Bela Square
- Babits Mihály utca
- Bezerédj street
- Szent László street
- Bathhouse street
- Kadarka utca
- Liszt Ferenc Square
- Széchenyi street
- Rákóczi út
- St. Stephen’s Square Memorial Column (2000)
- Statue of Mór Wosinsky (1982)
- The Bölcske harbor fort carved stones
- Holocaust Memorial (2004)
- Statue of St. Stephen (2002)
- Statue of Mihály Babits (1) (1971)
- World War I Memorial (1924)
- World War II Memorial (1992)
- Revolutionary Monument of 1956 (2000)
- 1956 Revolutionary Memorial Column
- It used to be a monument to the martyrs of 1919, but was removed in 2009
- Pirnitzer Department Store (1890)
- Deutsche Bühne Ungarn (German-language theater, 1913), Garay tér 4.
- Old savings bank (1895–96), Bezerédj u. 2. – Béla tér – Garay tér 18.
- Garay Cellar , Garay Square 19.
- St. Joseph Catholic Primary School Katholische Grundschule and St. Rita Catholic Kindergarten (1878), Garay Square 9.
- Garay Restaurant (1893), Széchenyi u. 29-31., Garay tér 1-7.
- Statue of King Bela (1986).
- The vaulted cornerstone of the abbey church (1061), in the courtyard of the old county hall.
- Ring Garden (2009) in the courtyard of the old county hall.
- Wine well in the courtyard of the old county hall.
- Memorial plaque of the Mohács disaster (1926) on the western façade of Béla tér 1., the old county hall.
- Stone coat of arms of Tolna county : a copy of the coat of arms made in the 18th century in the outer park of the old county hall.
- Monument to István Bezerédj (1942), in the outer park of the old county hall.
- Statue of the Holy Trinity (1753).
- Statue of St. Ladislaus (2001).
- Monument to the Revolution and War of Independence of 1848-49 (2014), on the retaining wall of the garden of the old county hall
- Mayer House (1838–1840), Széchenyi u. 19.
- Augusz House (built since the 1820s), Széchenyi u. 38. Ferenc Liszt visited here several times .
- Diczenty House (1898), Széchenyi u. 40.
- Mattioni House , Széchenyi u. 53. (courtyard) – Birthplace of the painter Eszter Mattioni (1902–1993)
- Ellmann House
- St. John and Paul Chapel (18th century), Béri Balogh Ádám u. 2.
- Újváros Church , Pázmány tér 6.
- Hermit’s Chapel (18th century) on the hill of the Balremete vineyard
- Old press houses
- Calvary observation of Bartina Mountains en
- Prometheus Park with artificial rocks – the sculptures are the work of Imre Varga
- Archduke Frederick’s exhibition pavilion – at Bárányfok , in the Gemenc Excursion Center
- Bati-cross lookout tower
- Holy Trinity Statue – the oldest Baroque statue in the city was erected in 1753 to commemorate the plague of 1738-1740 . Its creators are unknown. From the fact that there is a very similar plague column in the main square of Timisoara , some infer the identity of the creators, but this assumption has not been confirmed by the experts.
There are three figures at the top of the column:
- the Father
- the Boy and
- the Holy Spirit – the latter in the form of a dove surrounded by halo.
At the bottom, a heptagonal sandstone ledge running around the column symbolizes the seven sacraments. Originally, the Easter ham waiting to be consecrated had to be exposed here. Sculptures at the base of the column:
At the bottom, the wrought-iron door of the symbolic tomb on the south side is a beautiful piece of Baroque metalwork, the oldest such monument in the city. Behind him, the statue of Saint Rosalia resting is the work of an unknown local master.On all three sides of the pedestal, a stone chronostich can be read on a stone tablet : in their texts, the sum of the letters, which can also be interpreted as Roman numerals, gives the year 1740. The text of the three tables is in Hungarian:
- “Honor and praise the Holy Trinity that saved the people of Szekszárd in the plague”,
- “The most outstanding was raised under oath during the abbot’s governorship of József Trautsohn”, and
- “The excellent Mr. Pinczés made a welcome conclusion to his guardianship.” The statue in poor condition was completely renovated in the fall and winter of 2016.
- The statue of János Garay standson Garay Square . The late Renaissance-style work of art was made by Ferenc Szárnovszky in 1898. The artistshapedthe poet’s statuebased on a drawing by Miklós Barabás . The statue was cast atthe Gruet company in Paris . The pedestalwas designed by architect Hector d’Espona andmade by Budapest stonemason Andretti Anzelm . It is thework of Miklós Köllő, a genius at the beginning, giving the main character a laurel branch. Dezső Kálmán, a priest from Kölesd, is Borcsahe gave a name. On the west (back) side, a relief depicts one of the scenes of “The Obsitos”. The titles of János Garay’s most famous poems were engraved on two sides of the pedestal.
- The monument of István Bezerédj was designed by sculptor Sándor Konrád in 1942. It stands on Béla Square , in the garden of the County Hall .
The reliefs are explained by small poems by István Bodnár .
- The Lookout Monument is the work of István Kiss .
- The statue of Gyula Illyés is the work of Frigyes Janzer . Itstands onthe main street of the city, infront of the entrance tothe pedagogical college named after the writer.
- The Wine Well stands in the outer park of the old county hall. The work of sculptor László Juhos Szatmári and Péter Baky . At events, two types of wine can be tapped on the taps of the statue’s barrel.
- The statue of St. Ladislaus
- The statue of St. Stephen standson Szent István Square , next to the Babits Mihály Cultural House . The work of sculptor Pál Farkas was inaugurated on August 20, 2002. The money needed for the statue was raised from public donations. The collection wasorganized by Ernő Szigetvári, a resident of Szekszárd.
- St. Stephen ‘s Square also has a memorial column in St. Stephen’s Square . The work of László Bakó was inaugurated on August 20, 2000.
- Dragon wheel thrower (Bezerédj u.)
- The statue of King Béla is the work of Márta Lesenyei (1986). It was raised to the 925th anniversary of the founding of Szekszárd.
- The statue of János Háry by dr. It was created by sculptor Pál Farkas in 1992, donated by Ferenc Joó . It is located on Liszt Ferenc tér , on itsside facingthe Diczenty House .
- Another statue of János Háry looks down on the ledge above the entrance of the Obsitos manor house (Garay tér 16.). Endre Adorjáni’s bronze work was cast in 2007.
- The statue of the Drinking Deer can be seen in Mészáros Lázár Street , in front of the Gemenc Hotel .
The work of sculptor Sándor Götz was erected in 1976.
- The statue of Mihály Babits
- Statue of Mihály Babits
- The statue of Ferenc Liszt
- The bust of Mór Wosinsky
- The World War II memorial
- The Monument to the Martyrs of 1919
- The Oasis fountain is the work of Ildikó Kis , the decoration of Találka Square .
- The Millennium Monument
- Artists of the Formula Symposion on the Millennium Gate :
- Péter Csíkvári (designer)
- Ildikó Bakos
- Gábor Éva Mária
- Gábor Gáti
- King William
- Erika Ligeti (creators)
- László Juhos Szatmári (constructor, founder of the group) was produced in 2000. The Gate of the Millennium was inaugurated on August 20, 2001 in Luther Square ,
- The Autumn statue is the main figure of the fountain in Liszt Ferenc Square .
- The Monument to the Jewish Victims (relief stele) is the work of sculptor Sándor Konrád .
- The Statue of Abundance stands on Tartsay Vilmos Street.
- Aunt Cenci’s cross
- The Holocaust Memorial is the work of László Juhos Szatmári (2004).
- The Ring Garden is the work of László Juhos Szatmári.
- The Hunor and Hungarian Szekler Gates have been located in the inner courtyard of the former Ady Endre Secondary School, Vocational High School and College (currently Szent László Secondary School , Széchenyi Street 2–14),
- The belfry, which also stands in the inner courtyard of the former Ady Endre secondary school,
- In front of the long street front of the high school are three works:
- The bust of Endre Ady made of limestone was placed on a thick, square marble column in 1969. The column reads ADY. The work of Gyula Hadik commemorates the former namesake of the school;
- László Bakó’s sculpture: Desert Rose was erected in 2002;
- there is also a specific composition that gives a partly figural impression.
- The tomb of János Wigand