Szendrő

Hungary

Szendrő is a town in Borsod-Abaúj-Zemplén County , in the Edelényi District .

Geography 

The geological structure and treasures of the city and its surroundings are varied. Western and Bódva valleys of predominantly medium-term carbonatic rocks consisting Rudabánya-Szalonnai Mountains portion essentially Devonian and carboxylic aged carbonate rocks built-Szendrői rögvidék ( Szendrői Mountains ) and the Csereháthoz belongs.

In the interior of Szendrő, along the tectonic lines, hot springs burst to the surface. Former spring cave on the northern border of the city, in the small abandoned quarry behind the Jewish cemetery, opens the Szendrői Cave.

Sights, programs 

  • Szendrő’s monument of outstanding significance in Hungary is the Baroque-style Roman Catholic Church of St. Francis of Assisi , built in 1635 , about which a 47-minute short film was made in 2015. This can be viewed at the linked link. 
  • Ruins of Szendrő castles
    • above the town are the ruins of the late Upper Castle, archaeologists still work here (the southeastern bastion can be seen)
    • details of the remains of the late Lower Castle (also known as Bebek Castle) can be seen from the recently built bus car park (two portholes and a wall section are clearly visible). The house next to the butcher shop was built from the remains of a castle built on the ruins of the Lower Castle. The separate bell tower of the Reformed church may have once been one of the bastions of the Lower Castle.
    • the German Castle is the Roman Catholic church and the former Franciscan monastery (now a primary school) next to it and the part around it, then walled, called the German City.

The main altar of the Roman Catholic Church of St. Francis of Assisi in Szendrő and the side altars of St. Anne and St. Anthony of Padua.

  • Csáky Castle
  • Blue Painting House Museum
  • Gymnastics Museum : On September 25, 2013, under the auspices of the Hungarian Gymnastics Association , the Sports Gallery and Leisure House opened in the renovated Hadházy mansion. The material of the collection is  dr. Sándor Urvári (Szendrő, May 31, 1935) donated to the city as a gymnast trainer, teacher, an outstanding figure of Hungarian gymnastics, an honorary citizen of Szendrő. The objects of the exhibition were previously on view, from December 10, 2010 at the City Hall of Szendrő. A real specialty is an ancient Greek disco about 2,500 years old .
  • School history exhibition
  • American House (Pedellusház)
  • Close to the Rakacai Reservoir
  • In 1995, the 10 caves in the settlement, together with the other caves of the Aggtelek Karst and the Slovak Karst , were declared a World Heritage Site by UNESCO . These caves are the Csengő-szomboly , the Szendrői No. 1 Cave , Telekes Valley No. 1 Cave , Telekes Valley No. 2 Cave , Telekes Valley No. 3 Cave , Telekes Valley No. 6 Cave , Telekes Valley No. 7 Cave , Telekes Valley No. 9 Cave , Telekes Valley No. 10 Cave and Telekes Valley No. 11 cave .
  • The nationally advertised walking and cycling performance tour called Vitézlő is organized by the hiking department every spring.
  • A hiking tour around Szendrő is organized by the hiking department every autumn.
  • The Bebek portya badge-winning tour is organized by the hiking department; can be completed throughout the year
  • Hiking trails from Szendrő to Abodra , to the valley of the Telekes stream (to the Ördög dam), to the Rakacai reservoir
  • Every year “Szendrő City Days”
  • Heroic Monument : The imposing Hősi Memorial Park in front of the Roman Catholic Parish, built in 1808, commemorates the heroic dead, military and civilian victims of the First and Second World Wars from Szendrő, and the Hungarian, German, Romanian and various nationalities of Soviet soldiers killed in battles in the area. .
  • Miner’s Monument : On September 1, 2006, the municipality of Szendrő, together with the local retired miners’ association, inaugurated a monument honoring the miners and mining traditions of the settlement.
  • Wass Albert Monument : On the main square of the city of Szendrő stands the monument of the great Hungarian writer and poet, Count  Wass Albert  (January 8, 1908 – February 17, 1998).

Contact

Edelényi Járási Hivatal
email
jaras@edeleny.borsod.gov.hu
address
3870 Edelény, Borsodi út 26.
phone
48/ 778 800